Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Zach , I just went and got this 2004 rubicon off a guy for 2,000. I rode it and crap before I bought and it’s a really badass engine and ran good. Well I got it home and the wife and kids wanted to go riding the next day, and I take it through some muddy water, ok the next day we was going again and I started my whelller up, and it was stuck in first gear and my dash was stuck so I started fooling with it, unplug the batt termainlas and then it started flashing d1d2esp and no gear position . This was 2 months ago, I’ve had everyone I know who is better mechanic than me try and nothing , I got it to flash a code 6 but I have already replaced the angle sensor and I clocked it, and the shift control motor , pls if anyone can help me I will pay them wat ever , my bike starts right up and is smooth but it’s stuck , in reverse it chugs , so if anyone can help me pls do

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one of those early Rubicons and it did the same thing. Turns out the Hondamatic transmission had failed. Even fixing all the electrical issues didn't help. You can try removing the shift motor and spinning the gear inside the engine to see if that helps, I've heard they sometimes get stuck. Make sure the switch up on the gear shifter beside the gas tank is connected ok. Once you get the fault codes to stop flashing (if it's electrical), then I'd suspect the trans is possibly faulty.

·
Premium Member
6,231 Posts
Try here. You can download the factory service manual free there.

Have you pulled front cover and verified that the oil pump chain hasn't come off? The Hondamatics run on oil pressure, so first thing to do is check oil pressure and see if the pump is working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one of those early Rubicons and it did the same thing. Turns out the Hondamatic transmission had failed. Even fixing all the electrical issues didn't help. You can try removing the shift motor and spinning the gear inside the engine to see if that helps, I've heard they sometimes get stuck. Make sure the switch up on the gear shifter beside the gas tank is connected ok. Once you get the fault codes to stop flashing (if it's electrical), then I'd suspect the trans is possibly faulty.
I defeneitky will try to spin that gear, cause I’ve changed angle sensors and control motor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try here. You can download the factory service manual free there.

Have you pulled front cover and verified that the oil pump chain hasn't come off? The Hondamatics run on oil pressure, so first thing to do is check oil pressure and see if the pump is working.
No I sure haven’t I sure will check I hope and pray that’s wat it could be

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know about the 2004, but on the earlier models, the ECU needs to be re-initilized after changing the components you did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts