Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 07 Rancher 420 out for some trail riding last weekend to "Break it in" and I noticed when I hit the gas hard no matter what gear I am in as soon as I let up on the gas it seems to have a small backfire every now and then. The back fire is not too loud but it is there, I took it to the Honda dealer by my house explained the issue and they said this is the 3rd one they have heard of with this issue. They said "we working with Honda to resolve the issue but have no answers as of yet" . By the way my bike only has 6 hours on it so far. Anyone else experience this issue?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the plug, it looks nice and crispy clean I did not try taking the airbox cover off, but I'm not sure how that would do anything.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
by removing the lid your changing the air/fuel ratio. if it get worst by removing the lid try restricting the air inlet using electrical tape. adding more air will lean it out and restricting it will riching the mixture. All this is doing is given you something as to where to start with finding the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, Thanks I will try to do as you say this evening when I get out of work. I guess that is what I get buying a bike the 1st year it was produced I have faith Honda will fix this.....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
How does it run otherwise? IF it runs good and only backfires when coasting then I wouldn't worry about it.

G

·
rancher 420

my rancher does the same thing( backfires on decelaration) i've took it to the dealer three times, they told me thier waiting on honda to find a fix for the problem, to me this is a big issue, i just hope honda comes up with a solution soon!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had mine do a couple of times but, after the Arctic Cat I had this is mild. The Arctic Cat would back fire almost every time you would let off the gas after a hard ecelaration or allowing the engine to hold you back going down hills. I had for 5 years and it never caused any damage and Arctic Cat could never fix it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have two friends with new 420s, and they both backfire on deceleration after going fast. Plus, when you ride behind them, the gasoline smell is quite strong. I think they are running a bit rich. Of course the bike is fuel-injected, but I do not know if the map in the ECU is adjustable or not.

If it isn't, a Power Commander will probably be out for it (if it isn't already).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: rancher 420

QUOTE ("shortdogg1980":27v2gn73)
my rancher does the same thing( backfires on decelaration) i've took it to the dealer three times, they told me thier waiting on honda to find a fix for the problem, to me this is a big issue, i just hope honda comes up with a solution soon!!

mine too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts