Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you use your foreman/Rubicon with a spreader. The 10-12 gallon type that mount to your rear rack. I am wondering if you can use this to spread sand in the winter. I live in New York and we get a lot of snow. The most recent storm dumped a foot. Wondering if I can get a spreader and use the atv for my in-laws business, if yes then hello tax deduction. Let me know if you think this will work .

·
Registered
323 Posts
you should be able to get one, we can get one from Canadian Tire for atv's that spreads salt or sand so you should be able to find locally too. there only a couple hundred bucks here 250 i think

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
i dont know i just seen that on the web and seen that it spread sand or salt so i posted it here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted this reply in the Rubicon section earlier but figured it might be of use here too.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I know this thread is a month old but I figured someone sometime may be curious.

I'm in New Hampshire and we get SNOW! Then it warms up a bit and we have slush. Then it freezes again and the whole state is an ice rink. I researched spreaders quite a bit and only one of maybe a dozen different spreaders advertises that it can spread sand, the Swisher brand. The rest leave sand off the list completely without explaination. I assume it's because sand will cause problems in them.

The Swisher spreader sells everywhere for about $233 (the 150lb model for ATV's) but I Googled my a** off and found a place that sells them for $189.
www.outsideshopper.com
Friendly people, good price and quick shipping but - when I ordered about 2 weeks ago they said I got the last one and that Swisher was out of them too. Maybe more are ready now? I don't know.

Anyway, if you do any plowing this spreader is a must have companion. Assembly is a little tricky but straight forward (a helper would be great). Mounting wasn't bad either but again, an extra hand would be helpful while tightening the U bolts. I plan to make some quick-mounts to get it on and off quicker. There are three controls, two of which I wasn't especially thrilled with. First there is electric power to the motor. Just a 12 volt plug which you plug in and out for on and off. I would've preferred a switch, even an inline switch on the cord. The other control is the amount of material that flows out - from none to full. It's basically a sliding metal plate with a triangular hole. The problem is that to open it you have to be behind and to the side of the quad so you're dumping material before you start. A little wasteful.

I plan to make something slick to address both of those controls and will post details when I do. The other control is for width of spread. There are two knobs that you loosen, then slide the motor assembly up for smaller spread and down for larger spread (6'-14' I think). That works fine. KInd of set it and forget it.

There are a few extra holes in the metal parts that look like the designer may have been planning an add-on flow control, maybe with a lever or pull cable. I haven't seen anything like that yet but it could be a future availability thing.

If anyone has any questions just ask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.