Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving my honda foreman 400 it started smoking melted the whole main harness what could cause this new guy here thanks in advance

·
Registered
61 Posts
You’ll have to trace the harness and check where it melted. Could be a short and caused a wire to get to hot in the harness. Could be a mouse chewed on wires causing it the touch metal and short out. Start tracing and see what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i thought about a short but i dont think it is because pretty much every wire is melted to a crisp even my solenoid wires are melted to a crisp

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would you recommend just installing the new harness because i cant find anything wrong ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes i thought about a short but i dont think it is because pretty much every wire is melted to a crisp even my solenoid wires are melted to a crisp
It sure sounds to me like the whole harness needs to be replaced. But you would need to find out what caused the first meltdown.
I have done this on a motorcycle. It was only one wire that got pinched under the seat but it ran through a bundle of wires and it melted several other wires in the bundle along with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sure sounds to me like the whole harness needs to be replaced. But you would need to find out what caused the first meltdown.
I have done this on a motorcycle. It was only one wire that got pinched under the seat but it ran through a bundle of wires and it melted several other wires in the bundle along with it.
i tried to trace the wires to see which one it was but there melted so bad could it be the regulater rectifier

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry it took so long to come back to you.
It could be. But it could also be something else. It is not really possible for me to guess from a distance what caused the meltdown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts