Honda Foreman Forums banner

Home Brewed Carb Cleaning

86K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  mikepettigrew902 
#1 ·
Hi all ! Im here to let you all in on a family secret for carb cleaning.
about 2 months ago i went to see my old man (he is a retired mechnic and worked at ryder truck for 35 years..he knows his sh*t) He was out in the garage working on a lawn mower carb. I sat down talking to him and watched him take out a cooking stove,a old sause pan and pour 2 qts of lemmon juice,i asked what he was doing.He said he was going to clean the carb! So i watched him light the stove and put the sause pan full of lemmon juice on it. Then he took the carb apart . When it got to a boil he droped the body of the carb,the bowl,the jetts and the screws in .(YOU DONT WANT TO PUT THE FLOTE OR ANY RUBBER O RINGS IN ECT ECT ECT) but the plastic parts are ok .He cooked it for 30 mins and pulled the parts out and washed them with water and blew them off with compresed air untill dry.From what he says the acid in the lemmon juice and the heat break down all the crap in the little pasagesse that you cant see. i have done this 5 times and i have to say that IT WORKS AWSOME!
A few tips do it outside it realy stinks,use a old pan (when you see the crap that comes out you wont want to eat food out of it again)
i know that i will catch some crap from people but all i can say it works
RICH

just look at all the black stuff that came out only after 10 mins

See less See more
#4 ·
Did this back when I used to drag race to a QJet carb I was rebuilding. It came out looking brand new. Also used it to clean lawn mower carbs. It works great!

#5 ·
How cool is that! I'm going to give it a try just for the heck of it....now I need to find a dirty carb! :lol:

I knew Tomato's can be used as hand cleaner, never thought about Lemon juice.

#39 ·
How cool is that! I'm going to give it a try just for the heck of it....now I need to find a dirty carb! :lol: I knew Tomato's can be used as hand cleaner, never thought about Lemon juice.
I didn’t know about the tomatoes!! Was reading along and seen that! BUT DID YOU KNOW squished up blueberries work to remove blueberry stains from your hands 😁 hahahaha idk about anything else coming off besides that tho haven’t experimented that far yet 👍🏻

#7 ·
yea it works realy good and think about all the tree huggers that can clean there carbs now and thay aint gona hurt the earth man lol . pluss when it backfires threw the carb it smells like lemonade lol

#13 ·
:happyDude you got to buy some beer for your Dad for me !!!!!!! That worked awesome!!!!! I got some beer an took off the carb on the ole urban express an took it apart an put it on Colman stove outside an let it work it's elfin magic an that thing turned out so clean that I had to have some more beer !!!! I cant be-leave that it worked that good !!!Thanks!!:bestpost

#18 ·
Used this method the other day. Works great!!!

#21 ·
Well Ive got 3 carbs to do on my Kawasaki triple project and was just curious? How expensive is lemon juice?
Or can you just reuse the same batch for all 3 carbs?
I realize I could just boil all three carbs worth a stuff at the same time but if I do that Ill have a big batch of carb parts and not know which parts went to wich carb! lol
Im pretty good just using carb cleaner but Im gonna have a go at this lemon juice process.

#22 ·
its like $2.00 a pt and you need 2 pt so ........$4.00 lol
i have ben using the same stuff and have done 8 to 10 carbs all you have to do is add a little water from evaperation ! IMO the more you use it the stronger it gets !!!!!

#24 ·
pm rich450es. he has manuals if you need one

#25 ·
Hello Rich - please keep in mind that I'm a total noob, but are there any not so obvious parts that need to be removed that may not be obvious to the untrained eye? Or anything that may be apparent to you be maybe not to me? This tip sounds like what I need before attempting any kind of carb rebuild for my new foreman.

And thanks to you and SS for all of your helpful posts here on this forum, I've been trolling it pretty hard lately and you have been most helpful in many of them.

#26 ·
well splider ....i can only speek for myself ...thank you for the kind words!
carbs are realy easy to rebuild . just start off with a clean area to work then get a manual that has a lot of pictures (pm me and ill send you one if needed) and a few hand tools . just start taking it apart untill you cant take it apart anymore.and keep trak of what came off where ......we are here to help if needed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.