Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have an 02 rubicon, i just ordered the hmf utility. I dont want to rejet at the moment... and from what ive read, i dont have to rejet with just the hmf, however it will help power some, but should it run perfectly fine with the hmf and no rejet, meaning no missing, sputtering,
etc...

thanks guys

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you put on the pipe and don't rejet you are asking for trouble if it runs decent you are going to run lean and possibly burn a hole in the top of the piston.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dunno...i just find it hard to believe itll really need to be rejetted, i can perhaps see with an intake or snorkle beause that would drastically chance the amount of air coming in, but with an exhaust it just seems to me it would be perfectly fine?...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
if you change anythnig to do with air flow on a 4wheeler you will have to rejet, thats a snorkel or exhaust. a snorkel or exhaust eather gives your bike more or less air flow 99.9% of the time it will not stay the same, that is how you make power. now im not saying that you will have to rejet, you may just have to adjust the mixture screw. hope this helps you understand better.
-Aaron

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i understand...i just really dont want to start messing with jetting and have problems running like crap, and turning into a nightmare, because right now it runs awesome, i just want to put the exhaust on quick, get some more power and sound, and be done...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well im going to go ahead and install it when it comes and see how it goes with no rejet...what should i look for? will i notice it running poorly? basically how do i know whether its doing ok or not? and the mixture screw i know is just a matter of turning it one way or the other, but i just dont want to randomly turn it and screw things up worse, is there a somewhat known amount to turn it or what?

thanks for putting up with my noob questions..

·
Registered
305 Posts
The A/F mixture screw will only change 0-25% throttle if it is running bad at WOT them you need a new main jet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, i just read on hmf to adjust the fuel mixture screw to the highest, smooth idle (aproxx 2.5 turns) i understand this...and then the main test will be to see if it runs well while completly on the throttle? if it runs fine, no sputtering etc, would you see im ok?

thanks

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
run it alittle then check your spark plug, if its black you are to rich. if it is a brownish color then you are good. i am a master at jetting, i have done it countlss of times. i am in the same boat you are in, i want a pipe but dont want to rejet, mostly because i have two carbs to get right in the brute force
-Aaron

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i decided to just do the rejet...i found a deal that includes the recommended jet with the exhaust..i checked on hmfs site and it says to use a 165 for the rubicon, would you guys agree? and are they any good hows to for rejetting?

thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just wanted to share this with everyone. This is what the SERVICE MANAGER explained to me while I was in there one day at a dealership. He said that a slip on pipe and aftermarket air filter would NOT void my warranty, but as soon as I re-jet the carb it would. Now, wouldn't they know that they were asking for trouble? I have to admit, I have seen many of my freinds over the years put pipes and filters on thier machines and never once re-jetted.

You will be able to see the best power gain if you re-jet along with your pipe and an air filter.

Check out atvoutfitters.net, they have a complete kit that comes with Pipe, Air Filter, & Jets. The jets they send are OEM jets.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the advice, ya..it just seems to be the whole rejetting thing is a little overdone, but i may be completly wrong, im going to install the pipe and see how it runs, ill do all the checks, etc and see if i really need to...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also, from what ive been reading the needle jet you do nothing with???..its the main jet and air/fuel screw you adjust....i think im kinda getting it..the air/fuel screw is for idle to 1/8th throttle, so by setting the idle to the smootest high idle like hmf says to do, that takes care of that part, then the needle jet is midrange throttle which you do nothing with? and the main jet is 3/4 throttle and up? so basically my plan is to play with the screw and get it idling at the highest smooth idle and then as long as it runs well 3/4 throttle and up, im guessing my main jet is ok? and of course ill do the plug check and all...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.