Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Honda people!

I am new to ATV's, my brother recently picked up a nice used 2006 Polaris and he convinced me to grab one so we could ride together once in awhile. Figure I can also use one to plow my driveway in the winter (maybe) and pull a utility trailer around my property for the occasional yard tasks. My budget is pretty small, around $2000, and I've been looking through the classifieds (Facebook, Craigslist, etc) for a few weeks trying to find something decent. Problem is, anything at $2500 or under in any sort of decent shape gets snapped up fast and everything else is junk or overpriced.

Today I came across this 88 Foreman 350. Not sure on miles or anything on it. The gentlemen says it's been well maintained and is a smooth running and solid machine. To me, the untrained novice, the pics look great for an 88. Only problem he says it has is it's "a little loud". It comes with the two new tires and has proper paperwork so I can register it. He is asking $1650 and I'm coming from an hour away so I was going to offer $1500 and call it a score.

I'd like to hear what you guys think of this. After reading a lot here I've found that parts for these machines are getting scarce and repairs can be complex. Like for a new muffler alone an aftermarket costs $200 and a used OEM piece on eBay is around $150. Seems kind of high but whatever. Assuming it starts, runs, shifts and stops ok what do you guys think? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, done a lot with cars and trucks just never an ATV. Ever. Would you buy it or pass and look for a similar deal on a 2000+ year machine? Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Where are you located? Location plays a huge part in ATV values.

The old 350 Foremans were really tough bikes. Lots of power, super reliable.

The downside is they have a solid front axle, which rides like a buckboard wagon, drum brakes that don't do well in mud/water, and as you said, parts can be pricey depending on what you need.

One with paperwork (title) in excellent condition would be rare and likely worth the asking price. A runner with a bill of sale wouldn't be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm in Central New York State, between Albany and Syracuse. I see much newer 4x4 utility ATV's going for between $2500-3500 but they seem beat. This one seems well cared for.

And yea, I've heard these are well regarded machines yet very rough suspension technology, large turning radius, etc. The drum brakes don't bother me, I'm no super duper quad rider. I'll mainly be putting around my yard, plowing or screwing around in my grass. I guess I'm mainly worried about how reliable it will be at 30 years old, and how hard of a time I'm going to have making likely repairs like starter, etc.

I'm also having a heck of a time finding anyone at all who had an easy time putting a winch on one of these. Seems the winch plates are all custom cut plate steel and there is no pre-made winch plate kit available. That's a pain in the butt as I'll want a winch to operate a plow.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The 350 is a very tough and reliable machine. To anyone into these old machines that is a fair price. The body parts are very tough to find but mechanically everything can still be found.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. The 350 is a very tough and reliable machine. To anyone into these old machines that is a fair price. The body parts are very tough to find but mechanically everything can still be found.
Thanks, toodeep.

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Here is one of mine. Its rough around the edges but a work horse.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had and 87', put an untold number of hard miles on it and can attest to them riding like log wagons with zero suspension!! The solid front axle is a real downer when you're trying to keep up with your buddy on his 300 Fourtrax 4x4. He would jump his 5 - 6 feet off the ground like it was nothing, then laugh and ask why I could only go about 18". After trying mine one time at the same jump / speed he stopped laughing. They weren't built for creature comfort, but they are workhorses and will pull a house down.

Another dig against them in my book is the fuel tank being under the seat and stupid electric fuel pump that'll go out 150 miles from home.

I'd keep looking and find a nice Fourtrax or Rancher. But that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This Fourtrax below is a gem in my book at the price range you're looking for. As for wanting to mount a winch on the 350, if you have some 1/4" plate steel it's no biggie I put one on mine. Don't want to talk anyone out of buy a, some, any wheeler - especially a Honda, but been there done that on the 350 Foreman - not going back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
I've picked up a half dozen 350 Foremen, none in running condition, and all but two were missing a lot of parts, but I've gotten some rear ends to use in my 300 projects, and I'm hoping to have enough parts to piece together two running 350 Foremen by the time it's all said and done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For $1,500 I would buy it every day of the week and twice on Sunday as long as it runs good and looks pretty clean in person. I've seen them go for more than that in worse condition.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
I have an addiction so I would too. I have a couple more to bring home and add to the line up.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Dang Toodeep. Are you single or did you marry the most understanding woman in the world?

My wife has put the foot down. I have about 20 Hondas in the back yard now (some are partial 350/300's) and she finally got a little upset about it. LOL

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
My woman is understanding. I work hard for the money so I spend it on things I want. lol. With 5 kids in the house (3 teens driving) and us there usually isn't a lot of money left over. She did get a little upset when I came home with this one afternoon but she got over it fast.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm working on an '87 TRX350D, blue. Mine was a lot lower priced, but also more rough looking. Ridden hard, put away wet. Judging by the mods on the front bumper I'd say it served plow duty for a while.

I'm really surprised at how little this one has needed to bring it back from the dead.

On a former job, we had an '88 Foreman that we used a lot. It pulled hay trailers, dumpsters, farm implements, pushed race cars, and did everything we asked of it without skipping a beat. It just never failed.

I'd say if $1500 is a good price for you, judging by the pics and your description, it should be worth it. You won't have the bells n' whistles of the newer machines, but it should be reliable and get the job done.

"A little loud" - My headpipe is in the welding shop, rust where the two pipes join together, was blowing right against the cylinder. Had already been welded and patched before, but it should be fine with the pro working on it. One thing to look for if they haven't punched out the muffler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts