Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get teh K&N filter since its a lot easier to find, and I was planning on using Rotella T6 15w40 diesel oil.... I've been researching the heck out of doing an oil change on the ATV, and apparently a lotta people use this with great success.

I also read where I should change the crush washer on the oil drain plug. I don't know what size it is or where to get one. Can someone help me out with this?

Also - Am I nuts to use the Rotella oil? I thought it sounded crazy at first then I kept reading and researching and apparently it meets the JASO standards and works fine in it... What say you? Use it or is there something better? I read amsoil is highly recommended as well, but I havent a clue where to find it. (I'm in Lincoln NE)

Any advice you could give a lady on doing this would be much appreciated. I've changed oil in cars and riding mowers before so I do (mostly) know how to do it. DH's first degree was auto mechanics, but he's gone now and it's up to me, so I want to make him proud - or at least not embarrass him. :)

Thank you!

Kim

·
Registered
212 Posts
The T6 is fine oil for the quad, I've used it for years. You can reuse the washer if it isn't damaged/distorted from over tightening. It is soft aluminum & can be replaced with one from a Honda shop or automotive places usually sell them. Most Honda quads use a 12mm ID washer on the drain. Just make sure the filter is installed properly and don't over tighten the drain plug!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, Thank you very much! I feel much better after hearing directly from someone who's used it successfully. And thanks for the tip about the washer - I'll try not to mangle it, and over tighten the drain plug - I have read it's fairly easy to strip out the hole so I'll be very careful of that. Thank you again!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!! I'm really glad to have found this site. I have another question - this time about putting synthetic winch line on the winch? I can't figure out how to attach it to the winch drum. it looks like it should be the loop and bead type, but there's no bead. The wire line broke last summer, and when I took it off the drum, there was a loop, but nothing holding it in or on.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior
This is what the hole looks like that the cable loop was in. I went back out and looked around and used a magnet on a stick to see if there was a wedge or something that fell out that I didn't see and I didn't find anything. How the dickens do I get the new winch line to stay on? There's a second, much smaller rounder hole pretty much directly thru the drum that comes out the other side. I know I'll need to kinda smooth out the drum - you can see (heck even I can see) it's raggedy from the old cable. This is a Moose by Honda Warn winch.. says 2500 on it? That's about the only identifying info I can see on it - if DH got a book for the thing, I don't know what he did with it, which is unusal - he ususally kept all that together. this is a 2006 ATV that we've had since it was new. ANY help you can offer would be more than appreciated.
Thank you!!

Kim

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's kind of a goofy setup if I recall....there's a small, round metal puck shaped piece that fit inside the loop. When it's removed, you can pull the loop through the hole. Of course, it's easy to lose.
If you didn't get a new one, then you'll have to improvise. Maybe you can run the new rope through and tie a knot in it. As long as it doesn't come fully unwound on the drum, that should do the job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, crap... I must have lost that little puck thingy... I'll go out in the outbuilding and look for it again. I figured it had to have one of those, but I sure didn't see it when I pulled the old cable out. I'll check around it again. Can a person buy those things? And what the heck are they called? Or is there something else I could cram in there to do the same job as the little puck thingy? Thank you for your answer!

·
Registered
212 Posts
That style of cable mount is obsolete, the newer ones bolt to the winch drum. Can't you pass the cable through the hole and tie a knot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I expect that's what I'm going to have to do. It really is a goofy mounting system. Wish there was a way to drill/tap a small bolt to the winch drum without having to take the whole thing off, but can't see that there is, so I'll just slip it through and tie a knot. that's much easier, and I'm only going to have 40 feet of winch line - I don't need more for anything I do, so the lump that the knot will create shouldn't cause any problems. Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts