Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help I got this what I'm pretty sure is a 98 model foreman 400fw from a friend that was just gonna junk it and I couldn't let him do it cause it has a brand new top end including a jug and a new carb. Plus there is nothing mechanically wrong with it. Anyways I've put all this time and money in this bike and I go to hook cubes up in place of the headlights and I've got no power to the factory headlight wires. I've been through all the grounds plugs and replaced all fuses and still nothing. I show I've got power to the fuse for the lights but it's not getting to the front of the bike. I'm lost idk what else to check any impute would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should probably also add that I've replaced the kill switch and headlights controls too.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Do you have power up to the headlight switch?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not sure how exactly to check that?

Test light or a volt meter, I was always told to think of power as a river, if you got no water at the falls just keep going back up the river, not sure of your bike but power to headlight switch normally comes from the ignition, of course, after checking fuses. People look at wiring schematics and are confused, it's just a road map you only need to be concerned with the one road you are looking for. Shouldn't take to long to find out where the problem is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The neutral light comes on with the ignition switch as it should but could the ignition be bad and cause the lights not to work??

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would check the back of the ignition, if I recall there will be one powered wire with key off and 2 more with the key on, one of these should feed your handlebar switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would check the back of the ignition, if I recall there will be one powered wire with key off and 2 more with the key on, one of these should feed your handlebar switch.

That's what I was wondering because the handlebar switch is brand new and the ignition switch is original and the start button has never worked so I assumed it was the starter relay and tested it (idk if I tested it right) it never clicked and never showed continuity

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't have the manual for your machine but I would check for a plug between your new switches and the ignition, did you check for power into the headlight switch as too deep had mentioned. This would be the last spot I could recommend without seeing a wiring diagram

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have power to all lights now after going through everything but for some reason the new switch is backwards. Off is on and on is off?

·
Registered
31 Posts
What was the cause of no power? Might help others. Did the new switch come pre wired with a plug?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The plug on the switch is right but the internals of the switch is wrong and it's brand new. It's pre wired

·
Registered
31 Posts
The plug on the switch is right but the internals of the switch is wrong and it's brand new. It's pre wired

Ya that sucks I have slight OCD and would have to cut solder and shrink wrap the wires so it was working proper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need some help I got this what I'm pretty sure is a 98 model foreman 400fw from a friend that was just gonna junk it and I couldn't let him do it cause it has a brand new top end including a jug and a new carb. Plus there is nothing mechanically wrong with it. Anyways I've put all this time and money in this bike and I go to hook cubes up in place of the headlights and I've got no power to the factory headlight wires. I've been through all the grounds plugs and replaced all fuses and still nothing. I show I've got power to the fuse for the lights but it's not getting to the front of the bike. I'm lost idk what else to check any impute would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
had the same problem whit mind after couple hour searching test switch check wiring battery fuses find out in the green connector black and brown wire feed the power to headligth switch heat up just notice a bit of burnt in the connector cut wire off the connector tie it togheter BINGO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts