Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone has used a heel/toe shift or a hand shift for the ES?
I see Hi-Caliber Powersports has a heel /toe for the S and there are some hand shifts on Ebay but they don't seem to fit atv's so well.

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
@Quadjunkie that would be one to put onto a foot shift pedal so you could shift it with your hand. It will not convert an ES.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, Thank you. So this wouldn't fit where the "emergency shift lever" would fit? Wonder why it list's the 450ES.

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
Probably a mistake in the listing. The one in the link would slip over a foot shift pedal and then pinch in place. I have seen some in the past like what your wanting but I don't know if they still make them or how good they was.

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
If you put a permanent lever on it your deleting the es function or asking for more problems. The shift motor and components aren't tough enough to handle the extra force.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would respect toodeep thoughts on this. He knows more than I ever will.

that being said. for better or worse

I have a 2002 Honda Rancher 350 ES and for the last 3 years I have had this on the Shift lever.
7000 miles give or take and gets about 500 miles a year, If that

Honda ES Shifter

the foot shift type is what I got.

ts main duty is winter snow removal and doing shuttle shifting 1st to reverse some times my ES shifting has acted up and I did not want to end up stranded with a driveway to plow and not being able to get it to shift. Most times before I added the lever it would shift 1st to N fine but would not want to go to reverse. Have change out the angle shifter and still same problem. put on the ES shifter and I only had to use it 1 time plowing last winter when my ES shifter didn't want to work and was able to get the drive plowed and ATV went back into the garage on the battery charger and worked fine the rest of the year. I also have Hand warmers and extra lights on the ATV so thinking I was drawing to much on the battery and didn't have the power to run the shifter.

This year I have a new battery in the rancher and will see how it does for the winter.

just a option might not be the best but its out there if you want to try it.

Like I said I only use the overide shift lever when my ES dosn't want to work. My ES shift works great 95% of the time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
have this on a foot shift 2000 honda recon and its handy some times.

when your on/off alot backing up going foward doing utilty work etc its nice
for trail riding I'd rather keep both hands on the handle bars when moving at faster speeds.

have only had the Recon with this hand shift lever for 2 months and not alot of seat time to give more thoughts than that.

My kid drives the recon alot and he likes the hand shift lever but hes' only going from N to 1st maybe 2nd not shifting at higher speeds yet as I dont let him go that fast.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
I would respect toodeep thoughts on this. He knows more than I ever will.

that being said. for better or worse

I have a 2002 Honda Rancher 350 ES and for the last 3 years I have had this on the Shift lever.
7000 miles give or take and gets about 500 miles a year, If that

Honda ES Shifter

the foot shift type is what I got.

ts main duty is winter snow removal and doing shuttle shifting 1st to reverse some times my ES shifting has acted up and I did not want to end up stranded with a driveway to plow and not being able to get it to shift. Most times before I added the lever it would shift 1st to N fine but would not want to go to reverse. Have change out the angle shifter and still same problem. put on the ES shifter and I only had to use it 1 time plowing last winter when my ES shifter didn't want to work and was able to get the drive plowed and ATV went back into the garage on the battery charger and worked fine the rest of the year. I also have Hand warmers and extra lights on the ATV so thinking I was drawing to much on the battery and didn't have the power to run the shifter.

This year I have a new battery in the rancher and will see how it does for the winter.

just a option might not be the best but its out there if you want to try it.

Like I said I only use the overide shift lever when my ES dosn't want to work. My ES shift works great 95% of the time.

350 Rancher has the same transmission regardless of whether it's ES or footshift.

The 450 ES has a weaker transmission than the footshift 450. Different gears, so converting is fine on some bikes, not on others. The 450 is not a good candidate.

·
Registered
241 Posts
350 Rancher has the same transmission regardless of whether it's ES or footshift.

The 450 ES has a weaker transmission than the footshift 450. Different gears, so converting is fine on some bikes, not on others. The 450 is not a good candidate.
thanks learning something today about the Old school ranchers and foreman's

My 450ES foreman sometimes dosn't like to shift to reverse but if I shut it off/on then it will.

the Rancher would not want to shift at all and heck I've had to walk back the the house a time or 2 to get a wrench to make it shift. killed it in gear and didn't have enough battery to shift back to netural.

well now there's a emergency shift lever in the tool box if need

Hence why it now has the that shift lever on it. I hope to not have to use it but when its 10 degrees outside and snow needs to be plowed I'm not messing around with the emergency shift lever to shuttle from 1 to R 20 times to get the drive plowed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm new, but when I see someone with over 13thousand posts reply with info. I listen. Many thanks for the reply.
Too bad there is no way to add a hand shift.
Just finished plowing snow for the first time today.
The ES is painful but manageable. It shifted slowly, so I need to grease it up. It really plows nice though.
I read somewhere how to keep the red reverse button down perminate. That would help.
I need a good mirror. Any suggestions on that?

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
@sublime68charger are you leaving the footshift lever on while using the electric shift? If so it must not be too heavy (weight wise) or I would think it would cause a few miss shifts. The extra weight is the only thing to cause an issue because the little shift motor has more mass to move. Good to see you again..

@Quadjunkie I just split a nut and slide it over the cable to keep the reverse are pulled open. It's easy to remove if you have others ride the machine and worry about accidental shifts. I've mounted mirrors to the rack and handlebars before (motorcycle style). Cheap ones vibrated so bad they was useless, better ones worked decent. I would go with a rack mount if your using it to back up when plowing. I switched to a sxs for plowing so I can't recommend any at the moment that I have used and are still made.

·
Registered
241 Posts
toodeep,

yep I just leave the foot shifter on year round, so far havent had many problems with it at all.

Need to learn to not have your foot near it when you go to shift as it moves around some but that hasn't been a problem for me or the kids who have rode around on the rancher this last summer.
even when your foot gets whacked by the shift lever its not hurtfull like dropping a hammer on your work boot. Now if I was wearing flip flops and took a shifter whack that might be different but I'm of the belief your driving at ATV you should have on work boots.

2 years ago I had the shifter loosen where foot rod part was rotating on the part that got bolted onto the shifting shaft. I lived with it for the last 2 winter months took it off which was a 2min job. touched it with a welder to make the part not move any more and then bolted back in place when I prepped the ATV for winter snow removal.

as said this ATV when doing shuttle shifting has had problems not wanting to shift to Reverse on me and when its cold and I got work to due I'm not wanting to mess around with it.
Hence this shifter I put on it.
it Cost like $80 and thats pretty cheap to have vs chasing electric shift problems on a 15+ year old ATV with 7,000 miles thats seen alot a dust mud snow and salt. Starts and runs great and for trail riding the shifting works great 99% of the time.

Plowing snow and after 40minutes of shuttle shifting 1st to R for 20 yard pass's it dosn't want to shift.
might be the Shift Motor getting tired I don't know. I can up shift 1 to 2 and back to N no problem but wont shift to R for some reason. Turn ATV off/on it'll shift fine for 1 or 2 rotations then back to not wanting to go into R. Will shift 1 to N all day long but not to R. I have the Reverse lockout cable pulled out and held out with the zip tie trick. And it'll shift to R on the first few rotation's but then gets pissy about it.
Good or Bad this seems to work for me.

It's on my watch list to find a nice Older Rancher with foot shift to replace this one just have'nt had the money when I nice one shows up to buy and when I due have the money it seems to get spent on other things.

Might also be the battery draw of the Hand Grips, Winch and extra Lights as well. Have a New battery in it this year so will find out how the ATV does for the winter plow season. Its my Intown unit and doing 4 different Driveways for this year.
whew sorry for my novel length replay hope it all made sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
quad junkie for the Reverse you can put some bigger zip ties on the reverse cable to keep it pulled out so then you can always shift to reverse without have to due the Push Red button and pull the brake lever. I Have this on my ATV and helps alot to cut down on time it takes to shift to R for plowing.
can cut the Zip ties off when you don't want the R bypassed anymore also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
quad junkie for the Reverse you can put some bigger zip ties on the reverse cable to keep it pulled out so then you can always shift to reverse without have to due the Push Red button and pull the brake lever. I Have this on my ATV and helps alot to cut down on time it takes to shift to R for plowing.
can cut the Zip ties off when you don't want the R bypassed anymore also.
What I did was drill/tap the bottom of the red reverse plunger for 8-32. A screw along with a washer keeps the button depressed. Still need to pull the brake lever but no button push required for reverse, keeps the wife from going in reverse on the move accidentally.

·
Registered
241 Posts
03S that works as great as well. might be even better than my zip tie trick as you will be stopped to pull the brake lever. below is a pic of my zip tie trick I have done to most of the ATV's that I have.

IMG_0234.JPG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts