Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear any / all comments ,experiences with yours ?? , Which one /kind would you buy ? and why ..Thank you in advance ! Application >>>> rough terrian /water /snow / mud and anything else that can mother nature will throw at it !! [/b]

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have the cheapest GARMIN. ETREX model.Great little gps,very user friendly.Now I wish I would have spent a little more and got one with road maps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I wouldn't over look the Garmin Rino either. Although the screen is pretty small I feel it overcomes that with other features handy for ATVers.

The fact that it is a GPS AND a 2-way Radio could be very handy. You can not only talk with others in your group if seperated, BUT you can also see each other's locations if both(or more) are also using Rinos. With this feature you can route to each other if lost or separated.

It is also hand held and can be used for other outdoor activities.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
I started out with a Garmin E-Trex seven
years ago,But just up graded to the Vista
it came as a Adventure Package that includes
everything you need and then some

I have all Garmin mounts on the ATV and in the
Truck and never had any issues with ANY Garmin
product and the Customer Support is second to none
easy to get in touch with them and they speak
english,I've made a few calls to them on my new
Vista and they walked me right through everything !

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ditto on the Garmin experiance, I have found you can't go wrong with anything they make.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Garmin all the way. They are the easiest GPS's to operate. Veyr user friendly. I have the GPSmap76c. I use it for the ATV and the boat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys awesome info, greatly appreciated , here in Newfoundland there are many many trails that span all across the island, and lots of it is the same as it was when Christopher Columbus Discovered it !!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Can't go wrong with Garmin. I've been using a Garmin 12 for over 10 years for personal and Ground Search & Rescue use with excellent results and zero problems. As with all gadgets put some thought into the features you want before buying. A basic unit will plot waypoints and routes and be very accurate. For a little more cash you can get units with upgradable maps. A computer connection cable and the right software will allow you to actually map all those trails and even plan routes from a computer.
Shoot me a PM or email when you get one if you would like some help on setup or using it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Aother vote for GARMIN here!!!
I have a Garmin 12 and etrex legend both great and cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just about everyone around here uses a 60 series Garmin. Easy to use, very detailed maps available, and the keypad is below the screen. I believe the 76 series is above the screen and you have to reach over it to use it. Not knocking them just my preference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome , thanks all ...Garmin wins WOO HOO . Cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
H4 where you at on the rock ??

·
Registered
560 Posts
QUOTE ("IDigem1":30zhlwxx)
H4 where you at on the rock ??
Right next door in Mt. Pearl. Ride at the cabin at Goulds Pond. Just did a weekend run to Clarenville and on to North West River. Really appreciate the GPS and 10 years of saved waypoints on these trips.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Anybody use the garmin 60cx or 60csx? Do I need additional software to print out the maps i gps?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is a link to a chart that compares a Garmin GPSMAP60 and GPAMAP76.

I've had several different Garmin handhelds over the years and I am using the GPSMAP76 now. The newer ones are a lot easier to use than the old ones.

I am looking at different models and brands now because of the track size limitation on the GPSMAP76. With the GPSMAP76, you can not transfer tracks back and forth from the GPS and to a PC with more than 750 points and you have a limit of 10 tracks. There are work arounds to get past these limitations but that can be a pain. For example, I split my tracks up so they are less than 750 points and I keep all my tracks on a PC and only download to the GPS the ones I'm going to use on the current ride.

Sometimes I just down load the waypoints of intersections and use the trail maps.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know everyone swears by the garmin, and the Rino is nice, but its at least $300 and bulk. I have used it and it works great, but my Magellan Explorist 200 (blue) works just as well and was only $100. The guy at the store tired to see me the Etrex for $150 because the maps were upgradeable, and the told me the Magellan did not show roads at all. I powered on the Magellan and it showed me highways, but not roads. Then I thought why would I need to upgrade the maps, everywhere I ride is just plotted by waypoints. To be honest I really do not need a gps, but it is a nice thing to have. Especially since I am the only one of my buddies that has a sense of direction, and if something happened to me I would want them to be able to save me. My advice think it through, what are you really gonna use it for?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh yeah, I got the mount for my handbars for $30. It is awesome, it stands up to some hard hits too, like the jump in my avatar. Plus the magellan 200 I have is waterproof for a depth of 3 feet up to 30 minutes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sheesh I must be the only guy using lowrance.

I have a Lowrance H2Oc with the Minnesota LakeMaster Chip. I am huge into ice fishing so it is nice to pretty much have it on my wheeler on almost be like I am in my boat. The LakeMaster chip is really accurate so when I am out cruising the lake for a spot it is nice to find a spot and not have to drill 400 holes to find a spot.

Color screen makes it really easy, and to be able to plug it into my AC outlet on my wheeler means I can go all day without worrying about batteries.

My vote is for lowrance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My neighbor actually is an engineer for Lowrance at their corporate office here in Tulsa, OK. They are heads and shoulders above the competition for either maine capablilities, ie: fish finder, etc., which is how you are using it. In fact Lowrance is what I have in my boat, hHowever for the money their are several other options for use on an atv.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.