Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, guys. Shane is getting pretty upset w/ my bike now! When we rode Saturday, after we went thru the fenceline and then some, my bike started sputtering and losing power.
Shane checked the oil and there was water in it. The airbox was dry as a bone and the bike did not shut off in the water. Last week when we rode I went thru a BUNCH of water...up to the handlebars deep- and it NEVER got water in the oil.
Where do you think this water got in this time?????? Just give me the rundown of EVERYTHING I need to do to waterproof this bike before Shane makes me get rid of it!!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
If it started to sputter then I would think that some water had to of gotten onto the carb. If the box was dry then check all if the breathers

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Did you seal up your pull starter with silicone. Honda's are known for that seal getting worn out and letting water into the crank case.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give Shane the info.
I KNOW my pull start wouldn't work (if my life depended on it) because it's NEVER been used. So we can seal that up. Is there any kit or anything to just eliminate that thing??? That would be best!

·
Registered
162 Posts
yea highlifter makes a block off plate for the pull rope.

·
Registered
548 Posts
try these tips... <a href="http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/onclaws45" target="_blank">http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/onclaws45 ... b0&.src=ph</a>

They are not in any specific order realy, but youll get the idea. Also you say that you never use the P.S. so the seal in there may be bad, thats some $$$ to fix. Take the PS off and see how it looks in there, mine had about 10# of mud (exagerated but you get the point) check to see if there is an oil leak there. If all is ok clean it REAL GOOD and seal the life out of it with some blue rtv, then seal the handle to the housing (pull hndl out a little and run a thick bead around the rope hole and push the handle back in to seal good, next fill the top of the hndl (where the ropes knot is) with the rtv. Make sure you also fill the weep hole in the bottom of motor casing (PS needs to be off for this). $2.95 for the rtv VS. $80.00+ for the PS leak sheild from HL. Not only that LOTS of people STILL have leaks with the HL sheild installed. Look thru some of my past posts I have many on making the foreman a little more H2O friendly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Why are people still having problems with the HL leak shield? Is it because people are not intalling it right or is it because the HL leak shield is not made right? Just wanting to know, have heard a lot of people on here say it is the greatest thing made or hear people say it is junk. And where at on the leak shield does it leak.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sorry but I cant answer any of that for you. Go to the HL website forums and search leak shield, youll turn up an amazing amount of un happy customers. Either way Id rather save the $77.00 buy buying the $3.00 rtv AND still have a pull start, just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I need to do that. What is RTV?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I just used RTV as well to seal mine up. That way if something happens, you still have your pull rope as a backup. If your crankcase tube is not busted, more than likely the water got in through the crank seal behind the pull rope assem.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Terry, could you pm me all the details on how to do this as well as change
out a front wheel bearing if you have the time. Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
leak shield

i dont see how yall van say that the seal has gone out at the pull starter because if that seal is out your oil would be getting out through that just as fast as the water would get in

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
QUOTE ("screg":2kt8xd2y)
If it started to sputter then I would think that some water had to of gotten onto the carb. If the box was dry then check all if the breathers
i also think you should look into this
-Aaron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts