Honda Foreman Forums banner

gorilla winch?

10K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  big_daddy_bigfoot 
#1 ·
#3 ·
wow anybody hurt in the plane, and now that i've been lookin a lil more i'm thinkin about the 3500# venoms

#4 ·
I have the 2500 Venom Winch and I love it, I had to use it again 2 times this weekend at Haspin Acres to pull me out of a couple of mud pits. I would recommend at least a 3000# winch or bigger for the Foremans and Rubicons and such just for the extra power when your in the real thick stuff.

#6 ·
thats why i like stayin on the ground haha, glad no one was hurt

#8 ·
When I get my bonus check the 30th I'm going to get a Venom 3000 for mine. I'm glad to hear that they are as good as the high dollar ones!!

#9 ·
thats what i wanted to hear! i was looking at a venom, but i had never heard of one, so now i guess ill get it

#10 ·
I'm wondering how hard it would be to synthetic rope on it cause mine is kinked up really bad, even though i pull it tight everytime

#11 ·
I searched for 4 months and had several question forums on here. The consencus was Gorilla and Venom for the money. Good posts from thoes that had them.... Seemed reliable and built well. Good luck

#12 ·
I ordered mine last night, I got the 3000 with wireless remote. I will let everyone know how mine does.

#13 ·
Just bought the #3000 Gorilla and love it...

#15 ·
I saw it on ebay... It has the rocker switch as well as the wireless remote..

#16 ·
QUOTE ("Rincon 650":1ktq52b8)
I saw it on ebay... It has the rocker switch as well as the wireless remote..

#17 ·
are the gorrila winches water proof

#19 ·
Finally got to use my winch today, twice. It works great!

#20 ·
I don't think the gorillas are water proof. I got mine wet yesterday and it started running on its own. I had to hold down the out button to make it stop, all the way back to the truck. Strange thing is that 2 hours before this happened I pulled the winch cable out of the winch , so when it started running it did not hurt anything . I did not just get it wet, I flew through the creek to get the bottom washed off before loading it on the trailor. I think I'm going to make some kind of "thing" lol to keep if from getting so wet.

#21 ·
Where is your winch contactor/selonoid located? It must have an issue or your switch. Make sure the switch is out of the "spash zone". It should be waterproof, but you never know.

The winch itself getting wet should not matter, because it the switch and contactor that send the voltage. You can not "short out" the winch itself and make it come on.

#22 ·
QUOTE ("Truegrit":23la6mur)
Where is your winch contactor/selonoid located? It must have an issue or your switch. Make sure the switch is out of the "spash zone". It should be waterproof, but you never know.

The winch itself getting wet should not matter, because it the switch and contactor that send the voltage. You can not "short out" the winch itself and make it come on.
The contactor is in the splash zone I think. It's mounted under the front air dam for the grill, if you take the little cover off the "hood" of the foreman you would see the rivets holding it on. I hope that explains it, but I'm going to rig up something to make a splash guard. Don't know what but will figure out someting.

#23 ·
I put my contactor on the ar of the rear rack, that is under the seat and over the battery. Its secured there with two u-bolts . Its out of the way and stays secure. Mine gets wet, but it seems yours ends up plowing through the water since it in the front.

#24 ·
Yes it does and I worried about it when we put it up there but that's the way the wires were set up. I'm going to see if I can find some tin or aluminum and make a cover for it. I am going to hook it back up tonight and see if its ok now. I'm still going to put a switch on the power wire so it's not always on. I so glad I pulled the cable out now because I'm sure it would have burnt up if the cable was still in it.

#25 ·
We had 2 of the cheap Ebay winches crap out on us this weekend! On mine, I have a Proline 2500 off of Ebay,and I mounted the contactor under the seat, where it definitely gets wet. the strange thing on mine is that when you tap on the contactor it will operate the winch, so I am gonna take it apart and see whats up with it. Hopefully I can fix it and then fill it with Dielectic grease. And my buddy bought the Gorilla 3500XT used it twice and now it won't work at all. So keep us posted on what your findings are.

Russ

#26 ·
Yeah if figures, some have good luck with them on here but it sounds like most of us don't. I'm going to do something to seal it up and keep it from getting wet. I don't know why mine started running on its own but I know why the cable came out and it's my fault. I have been busy with buying a house so I may not get to it for a while. I have some work to do to this house I'm buying before I can buy it. Don't understand why but I have to, not the seller, soooooo I will be busy for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.