Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, first post in here.
I have a 2002 Honda TRX500FA Rubicon. My son and his friend recently snorkeled it and everything was fine for their first trip, but then the second trip he said the display goes out and the wheeler will not come out of first gear. After it sits for a bit, it fires right back up and works again. Any ideas as to why the water is effecting the display. He said they have checked all the electrical connections and everything was tight. I have put dielectric grease on every plug on the wheeler as I got in as a project. (previous owner wanted to replace the frame and never finished it). I basically put the entire bike back together and replaced the wiring harness and many other parts. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, This weekend I went out and I am not getting any kind of code from the display. Where it would say the gear is just 2 dashes and they never stop blinking. The D1,D2,ESP are constantly flashing as well. I tried to replace the shift sensor and that didn't help at all. I then jumped into the book and it said to eliminate the D1,D2 and ESP switch with a meter and it appears to be good there. The manual speaks about doing the same test at the ECU, but I didn't see the same wires at the ECU plug as they mention in the book. I have a brand new wiring harness that has maybe 5 days of riding on it. I am thinking the angle sensor or the ECU itself. Any one have any other tips? These are both rather inexpensive (ATV was free), but I do not really want to waste $86 bucks or $260. I have no ATV experience on troubleshooting and would appreciate any and all help. TooDeep you still active on here????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds what happened to mine, its most likely the voltage regulator. That means if the voltage regulator went out it probably fryed the computer (ecm). I would most definitely start with the regulator. To get it to show its codes, hold in both shift buttons and turn on the key (dont start it) and immediately release them. Then immediately depress them again and this time hold them in. It will flash once then start flashing quickly, count these flashes for the code numbers. For your info the regulator is underneath the rear right wheel well and the ecm is on top of the tool box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is the code sheet for your bike.

Code 1 - Ignition Pulse Generator system
Code 2 - Speed Sensor System
Code 3 - Gear Position Switch System
Code 4 - Throttle Sensor System
Code 5 - Angle Sensor System (Motor lock i.e., angle sensor, wiring, ECM, control
motor, motor transmission section, transmission unit)
Code 6 - Angle Sensor System (swash plate angle, sensor / wiring)
Code 7 - ESP shift switch system
Code 8 - ECM EEPROM
Code 9 - ECM voltage converter circuit
Code 10 - ECM fail-safe relay circuit
Code 11 - ECM motor drive circuit
Code 12 - ECM CPU

Initial Setting Procedure
Note:
• After replacement of any of the following parts, perform the initial setting procedure below.
  • ECM
  • Throttle sensor*
  • Angle sensor
*Also, perform the initial setting procedure if the throttle cable is disconnected (i.e., car-buretor removal/installation, cable replacement etc.).
• The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.
1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant “ - - “ indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous “N”, repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after “ - - “ comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of “ - - “ to the continuous lighting of “N”.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the code sheet for your bike.

Code 1 - Ignition Pulse Generator system
Code 2 - Speed Sensor System
Code 3 - Gear Position Switch System
Code 4 - Throttle Sensor System
Code 5 - Angle Sensor System (Motor lock i.e., angle sensor, wiring, ECM, control
motor, motor transmission section, transmission unit)
Code 6 - Angle Sensor System (swash plate angle, sensor / wiring)
Code 7 - ESP shift switch system
Code 8 - ECM EEPROM
Code 9 - ECM voltage converter circuit
Code 10 - ECM fail-safe relay circuit
Code 11 - ECM motor drive circuit
Code 12 - ECM CPU

Initial Setting Procedure
Note:
• After replacement of any of the following parts, perform the initial setting procedure below.
  • ECM
  • Throttle sensor*
  • Angle sensor
*Also, perform the initial setting procedure if the throttle cable is disconnected (i.e., car-buretor removal/installation, cable replacement etc.).
• The gear position blinks in Indicator Mode 2 when the initial setting was not made properly. Repeat the procedure from step 2.
1. Start the engine and let it idle about one minute with the sub-transmission in neutral. Stop the engine.
2. Make sure the gearshift lever is in the neutral position (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and turn the ignition switch off.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON while pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP shift switches) simultaneously.
4. Release both the UP and DOWN shift switches immediately, then push and release the shift switches in the order of UP, DOWN, and UP. Do not hold the switches in).
5. A constant “ - - “ indication stays ON on the gear selector indicator. (If the gear position indicator shows a continuous “N”, repeat the procedure from step 2.)
6. Move the throttle lever to the fully closed position, then to the fully open position, and then move it to the fully closed position again immediately (within 10 seconds) after “ - - “ comes ON on the gear position indicator.
7. Check the control motor operation sound (the control motor should function at this time to adjust the angle sensor).
8. When the initial setting procedure is complete, the indication on the gear selector indicator changes from the continuous lighting of “ - - “ to the continuous lighting of “N”.

Ok, I was able to get the bike to show a code and I got a code 9, I saw in the manual that, that is in reference to the ECU, so I bought one. Should be here today, then after reading this I purchased a voltage regulator and that should be here tomorrow. Never hurts to have a spare Voltage regulator and it was inexpensive. I will update this thread when I figure out which was the problem. I am new to troubleshooting this thing for electrical issues and so I appreciate all the help you posted here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday, I received the new ECU and installed it. I tried to do the reprogram and it wasn't working. I never could get the new ECU to program. I tried again and I never heard the shift motor cycle like the box said it should. And then I did a diag and got a code 5. Totally frustrated I put the old one back in tried to do the reprogram and it didn't work, just gave the code 9 again. Put the new back on and tried the reprogram and it worked and I heard the shift motor cycle. I didn't run it much just up and down the yard once to see if it would shift and it did. So, my son will take it out this weekend to see if everything will run properly. I have NO interest in trouble shooting the 5 code, seems like a lot could go wrong with that code. Thanks for all your help. Will update on Monday if anything else goes wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, the boy took it out this weekend and said it ran fine for awhile, then it started acting up again. He said it runs fine in drive, but sputters in reverse. Also, he said it stopped at one point and he couldn't get it started let it sit for awhile, checked the air filter and the house had some gas. Drained the air box and it fired right up. So, I ordered a angle sensor and I will start with that first.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I recently had a similar issue with an older Rubicon 500 - the engine was revving up like normal but it was staying in low gear. The display was a constant flash so it wasn't getting a code number to go by. Turns out the shift motor was stuck. Once it was removed and the gear was freed up it started shifting again. For now it is working again like before but I'll be replacing the motor next season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently had a similar issue with an older Rubicon 500 - the engine was revving up like normal but it was staying in low gear. The display was a constant flash so it wasn't getting a code number to go by. Turns out the shift motor was stuck. Once it was removed and the gear was freed up it started shifting again. For now it is working again like before but I'll be replacing the motor next season.
I took the shift motor off at the beginning of all this and the motor was stuck, so I cleaned the insides and got the motor to spin freely, reinstalled it and now when I run the init I can hear the motor spinning. I replaced the ECU and it can shift fine now, just having an issue with it sputtering in REV now. And I am not getting any codes to come up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"spock, post: 3339610, member: 138437"]
That sounds similar to what mine does. Sputtering in reverse is not likely related to the shift motor issue. Possibly the linkage needs adjustment or the reverse switch is at fault.
The reverse switch at the bottom of the shifter? I took that apart and cleaned it well and it seems like when I press it the detent goes all the way in. (at least it registers in R on the screen and I get a light). Same for the linkage, I would assume that the linkage it right because when I go into all the gears I either get the lights I am supposed to or I get the D for drive.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not sure what causes the problem and would like to know myself! There is a gear position switch on the back of the engine which I believe is for the gauge display. Not entirely sure about the switch on the shift lever. On some Honda quads, people have been bypassing the reverse speed limiter - might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
286 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts