Honda Foreman Forums banner

41 - 60 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Well I learned something new....I will not be able to buy a Nightforce Scope with a AVG price of $2000....**** I 'm having problems buying a $200 scope!:lol:
you can get by just fine on a 200 scope
but you get what a 200 scope really is
some times if you think about it, its better to save up and get what you want the first time, rather than buy a 200 scope now, and then finding its not what you want and then buying say a 500 scope, wicth then means you spent 700 bucks on a 500 dollar scope
and again, you can get by with a 200 dollar scope
but its like buying a low end basic cheaper ATv
its will do most things and it will last "X" long
but if you want a 2013 foreman, and not a chinese import ATV, it costs money buying
BUT a cheap one gets you by till you can get the one you want!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
LOL! Calm down Glide. It seems like you're looking more into this than you need to. Like Mrbb said, what do you really intend on doing, hunting, shooting, or what? Alot of hunters will tell you that they would rather have something in the 50mm range to allow more light in early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Trust me, there is a big difference in 40mm and 50mm. Then you have 1in or 30mm tube. I've only used 1in so I don't have anything to compare there. Your question about sighting the scope then reseting to zero. This allows you to set the scope then reset the dail to zero. This is best if you plan on adjusting for windage & drop (if the scope doesn't have mill dot) using target turrents. The best advice I can give you is to read the reviews that people write about the scopes you're looking at. I don't trust all sales men at the store. I like to hear what others say.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
LOL! Calm down Glide. It seems like you're looking more into this than you need to. Like Mrbb said, what do you really intend on doing, hunting, shooting, or what? Alot of hunters will tell you that they would rather have something in the 50mm range to allow more light in early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Trust me, there is a big difference in 40mm and 50mm. Then you have 1in or 30mm tube. I've only used 1in so I don't have anything to compare there. Your question about sighting the scope then reseting to zero. This allows you to set the scope then reset the dail to zero. This is best if you plan on adjusting for windage & drop (if the scope doesn't have mill dot) using target turrents. The best advice I can give you is to read the reviews that people write about the scopes you're looking at. I don't trust all sales men at the store. I like to hear what others say.
Well no disrespect...but I'm not upset in any shape Form or fashion....I'm actually laughing and having fun, I'm heavy on the smileys and bold underlines.....I learned to type in a chat room where you had 3-5 seconds to get your point/post across....hehehe

I really enjoy learning, it's what I do I read Tech's and Spec's Daily, we can be driving down the road and I can hear something on the radio and I GOT to find out the meaning of it or WHY.....i dearly love learnig How things work and WHY they work that way......so I'm all good I "will" find a nice scope that I like

....ohh BTW I did post my needs above...100-600yd's, mil spec retinal, min of 3-9X40 1" solid tube.....etc

Seen a Weaver i was impressed with and walked righ out of the store and forgot to get the part # :unsure: I wanted to learn more about it......hehehe

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Need some help guys. I'm looking at getting a pistol that I can use for when I go hunting, riding, and for conceal and carry. I'm leaning toward something like the S&W M&P shield 9mm. I did a google search on compact 9mm pistol and came up with alot of different guns. I did see the Ruger SR9c. Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Need some help guys. I'm looking at getting a pistol that I can use for when I go hunting, riding, and for conceal and carry. I'm leaning toward something like the S&W M&P shield 9mm. I did a google search on compact 9mm pistol and came up with alot of different guns. I did see the Ruger SR9c. Any thoughts or ideas?
well not to bash on the 9mm, but its a lousy hunting caliber in a hand gun to be honest
if you wanted a hunting caliber hand gun, and a semi, look into a 10 mm, like a Dan wesson, or a glock, they are equal almost to a .41 rem mag is the right loads, way better than a 9 mm
there really isn't any Great, carry /hunting guns
they kind of go against each other
as a hunting hand gun really needs the longer barrel to have any real good sight radius, and the extra inches in Barrle to make and keep speed and energy up
some semi's out there you can get a long slide for, to help
but then your not getting a very friendly carry gun
a 4 inch BBL .44 mag in a revolver can work pretty good as both, but again, its not the best at either
but can do the job
I would suggest you think about what you plan to do more, carry or hunt, and go with a gun that does that best

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Sorry mrbb, I should have been more clear about my needs. The pistol will be more for protection than hunting.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

well not to say other wise
but the difference in light gathering ability isn't really in the size of the objective len's or tube
its a combo of Quality Glass, and then the rest factor's in
as a High quality glass in a 40 mm objective and a 1 inch tube , will provide more light transfer than a 30 mm tube and a 50 mm objective of poorer quality glass
the most real advantage of a 30 mm tube over a 1 inch tube is strength, and NOT all 30 mm tubes are the same, some have much smaller inside diameters, heck, many 30 mm tube only have 30 mm outside diameters, and have the exact same inside dimensions as a 1 inch tube
that a trick of scope maker's, trying to talk up 30 mm scopes
the DIS advantage of a 50 mm scope over a 40 mm scope is how much higher it has to be mounted on the rifle, causing improper cheek weld on a stock, the lower the scope sits on a rifle the better it lines up with 90% of all stocks on modern rifles
I am not saying there are not differences in 40 to 50 mm of like quality glass, as if all things are equal, yes the bigger will allow more light in
Just saying don't be sold on the facts that one is bigger that it will work better/be brighter in lower light!
and also don't forget, the higher the magnification, the lower the ability to allow light in to, as the eye pupil of the scope(more or less a way to think about it) changes as power is increased
so a 1x scope with a 1 inch tube and a 50 mm objective, will allow longer viewing
than a 4 x scope of equal glass and size will!
many many things go into viewing in low light ability of a scope, other than just objective size and tube size

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Sorry mrbb, I should have been more clear about my needs. The pistol will be more for protection than hunting.
well here is advice I used to tell a LOT of gun buyer's
as long as your buying a gun from a Good brand named maker, starting these days at about 350 bucks and up, there all pretty good and reliable these days
so the one to buy is the one that fits your hand the best, as any gun that fits you better, 9 out of 10 times you will shoot better than a higher end gun that doesn't fit as well
so best advice to give is to go to lots of stores and go and pick up and hold pistols of the likes you like
second, a carry gun will only work if you carry it, a bigger heavier gun , will cause you not to want to carry it, thus doing you no good then
as for caliber
9 mm is fine, I wouldn't go any smaller
sure the guns get nicer to stick in a pocket, but the calibers(25acp, .32, .380) well most of these guns get picky with ammo they like and don't like, the ammo costs more than 9 mm, meaning odds are you will practice less, and there getting low on real world KO power
the ruger LCR 9 is a very nice small carry gun in my opinion, same goes for the small glocks, and the kel tec's
but every bigger gun company these days make 's at least one
Kimbers small 9 is a sweet gun, if the budget is there for that higher end, well worth a look
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
I got to agree with the previous poster the ruger LCR 9 and any Glock is going to be a very good choice, for the power the Glock 23 .40 Cal is a nice choice it's a mid size gun 13+1 rounds and can be barrel swapped to change it to .357 Sig & 9mm.

if you have ever held a Glock 19 it is the same exact size with just a bit more weight, but not enough that would make one shy away from it........and theres about a 1000 other choices out there wheel guns and autos. but according to Glocks latest reports 65% of all police agency's now carry Glocks simply due to the fact .....they Work.

my rule of thumb/hillbilly logic, if i pick up a gun and don't Whisper to me (buy me take me home) I lay it down and walk away regardless of make & model.

my2 cents worth

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
check out the springfield XDm in ether a 9mm or s&w .40
the 9mm i think holds 19+1

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I got to agree with the previous poster the ruger LCR 9 and any Glock is going to be a very good choice, for the power the Glock 23 .40 Cal is a nice choice it's a mid size gun 13+1 rounds and can be barrel swapped to change it to .357 Sig & 9mm.

if you have ever held a Glock 19 it is the same exact size with just a bit more weight, but not enough that would make one shy away from it........and theres about a 1000 other choices out there wheel guns and autos. but according to Glocks latest reports 65% of all police agency's now carry Glocks simply due to the fact .....they Work.

my rule of thumb/hillbilly logic, if i pick up a gun and don't Whisper to me (buy me take me home) I lay it down and walk away regardless of make & model.

my2 cents worth
Im the same glide, I dont care if im comparing Hi-Points vs Glocks. I will spend hours picking up guns repetativly before I finally say "ok give me this one".

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I walk in a gun store and my ears start ringing from all the guns saying "buy me take me home."

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
I walk in a gun store and my ears start ringing from all the guns saying "buy me take me home."

thats why I pick them up and fondle them! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Glock or Sig are widely carried by PD's.... For the non enthusiast, Wheel guns are hard to beat for home defense.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
OK just to say something about what police depts carry
most depts in the USA can only carry guns that due 2 things, One they must meet the depts standards, and two, they must(in compnay provided duty guns) meet a price tag they set, like the loweest bid wins the contract
NOW I am not saying any gun they slelect is of poor quality
just saying don't get caught up in the hype, that if the FBI, CIA uses'X" gun, that makes it the better gun for you
it could be , but it could also be the wrong gun for you
fit is a major thing many folks forget when buying, wanting what the magazines and online folks convince you you need over what fits you!

as for caliber, to me, for personal carry , if I wanted knock down energy, I say a .45 is hard to beat and they have them plenty small these days, but I still perfer a full sized 1911 frame, have the most experience with that gun, fits me best, and I shoot them better than all my otehrs
second for pure HP, is teh 10 mm for a carry gun, again can be had in a 191 frame(own 2) and in many other formats, like a Glock,
a 10mm is basically a .40 cal with more, or should I say a .40 is like the difference between a .22 long rifle and a .22 short
its the same head , just different case lenght
with the 10 beeing the more powerful of the two
in good loads its equal to a .41 rem mag almost, and thats a lot of power in a hand held gun
But the best option for most folks is again, the 9mm in my opinion
they have lower recaoil, and Ammo is the easiest and cheapest of the real defence calibers out there in a semi!
and if ammo isn't shot a lot your skills will suffer
so buying a different caliber and not shooting as much due to costs ??
well there are a small percentage of folks that are expert marksman born to shoot, but to most it takes practice to get any good
so having cheaper ammo, lesser recoil, and more models to pick from, makes the 9 mm my suggestion on a carry gun
a more skilled shooter can go up in caliber, sure
someone that likes to reload, again can get by on bigger calibers but tehn again, its always cheaper to load 9mm than most any other pistol caliber(.38 special might be real close)

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
OK just to say something about what police depts carry
most depts in the USA can only carry guns that due 2 things, One they must meet the depts standards, and two, they must(in compnay provided duty guns) meet a price tag they set, like the loweest bid wins the contract
NOW I am not saying any gun they slelect is of poor quality
just saying don't get caught up in the hype, that if the FBI, CIA uses'X" gun, that makes it the better gun for you
it could be , but it could also be the wrong gun for you
fit is a major thing many folks forget when buying, wanting what the magazines and online folks convince you you need over what fits you!

as for caliber, to me, for personal carry , if I wanted knock down energy, I say a .45 is hard to beat and they have them plenty small these days, but I still perfer a full sized 1911 frame, have the most experience with that gun, fits me best, and I shoot them better than all my otehrs
second for pure HP, is teh 10 mm for a carry gun, again can be had in a 191 frame(own 2) and in many other formats, like a Glock,
a 10mm is basically a .40 cal with more, or should I say a .40 is like the difference between a .22 long rifle and a .22 short
its the same head , just different case lenght
with the 10 beeing the more powerful of the two
in good loads its equal to a .41 rem mag almost, and thats a lot of power in a hand held gun
But the best option for most folks is again, the 9mm in my opinion
they have lower recaoil, and Ammo is the easiest and cheapest of the real defence calibers out there in a semi!
and if ammo isn't shot a lot your skills will suffer
so buying a different caliber and not shooting as much due to costs ??
well there are a small percentage of folks that are expert marksman born to shoot, but to most it takes practice to get any good
so having cheaper ammo, lesser recoil, and more models to pick from, makes the 9 mm my suggestion on a carry gun
a more skilled shooter can go up in caliber, sure
someone that likes to reload, again can get by on bigger calibers but tehn again, its always cheaper to load 9mm than most any other pistol caliber(.38 special might be real close)
Man your opinions are Longggggggggggg!

only joking waiting on a computer to load needed something to do! ;)

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
well sorry, just trying to give good info, I have a ton of experience here and don't mind helping if I can, and its hard to do in short reply's sorry folks!

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
well sorry, just trying to give good info, I have a ton of experience here and don't mind helping if I can, and its hard to do in short reply's sorry folks!
as I said just screwing with ya & I'm Glad ya took it as intended!

there are a lot of us with tons of experience & we all have something to contribute to this Forum thats what makes it interesting, but lets not slap people down only because there our different than ours!

keep up the good posts!.........still waiting on this slow ass computer to load :lol:

41 - 60 of 331 Posts