Honda Foreman Forums banner

21 - 40 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Well I for one am depressed that duck season is over and that Turkey season is along way off and majorly off schedule. So six of us loaded up in a Polaris Crew Razor with two FoxPro game calls and drove around our 3000 acre lease to do some Crow Bangin yesterday. Defiantly scratched the itch. We had one sit were 250 crows dropped in at once / fast as you can load'um boys. Good times for sure. How do you guys fill the gap?
preditor hunt but i have been so worked up for turkey season i havent done much but ppractice calling lol

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
mrbb that bick is still a good buck, a little young but i have no room to talk i shot my first buck with a bow october 7th i have trail cam pics of him and he looks like a shooter then i get him on the ground and in my mind i should have let him walk
View attachment 9454

View attachment 9455

really he is my first archery deer so im still proud of him and he is kinda cool lookin
well that's a nice buck all the more so for a first one too
my first buck was a 6 inch spiker back in the 80's with a bow, , first yr bow hunting

as for the buck I shot, he was a 4.5 yr old buck, had trail cam pic's of him last 3yrs, always had a odd left side and he actually grossed in the 140's, didn't do a great score on him, but a quick one had him at 144, with 11 points
and as for shrinking once on the ground, that happens to us all, as long as you had fun that's all that matters

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Mrbb, I dont think those are the same deer. In the top picture I dont see the two stickers on the left G2 and the G3's look longer than the one thats in the bed of the truck. Either way, you have a nice deer and maybe another one for next year.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Mrbb, I dont think those are the same deer. In the top picture I dont see the two stickers on the left G2 and the G3's look longer than the one thats in the bed of the truck. Either way, you have a nice deer and maybe another one for next year.
Sorry I [posted the wrong trail cam pic, here is the correct one, and that obne was just an 8 pointer and he is still about, but wounded also,
I have a serious problem with poachers/cheaters here

·
Premium Member
3,838 Posts
You run them with dogs?
Yeah my buddy got a couple good beagles that live for chasing them so we just go around the local area with snowshoes and shoot a few. Notice in the one pic theres a cottontail (brown one) mixed in there.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Trying to get out to do a little hog hunting. A buddy of mine has some dogs just begging to get out after some hogs. Heard the other day that some guys went down to Georgetown county to do some filming of some coyote hunting. In three days they baged 41 dogs. Man that makes me want to forget the hogs and go bag some coyots. Had two run across the road as I was on the way to work. If there weren't no cars coming I was going to pull over and take a shot or two.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
looking to buy a Rifle Scope something like 3-9X40 I got my eye on a bushnell elite, but it's around $300 and me being a COB and only target shooting it's hard to justify spending that much on a plinking scope!

but it does have a 1" solid tube & some of the best Glass in the industry and that Sweet 600 DOA reticle :lol:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After deer season last year, I was dead set on getting a Remington 700 270 and a different scope. I had a Leupold Rifleman 3x9 40mm that let me down on one big eight. I called Cabelas and talked to 'em about the different scopes and the guy turned to a new company called Vortex. Checked 'em out and read all the reviews I could find. Alot of great things were said so I dropped money on this Vortex Optics - Diamondback 3.5-10x50 V-Plex. To bad I didn't get to hunt with it this year but I can say that it does pull in some light and sure is clear.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
redfield makes a good scope for the money i would check them out. i put a new revolution on my ar

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
here is a few pics of my first trophy. shot gun kill about 4 years ago
shotgun kill.jpg
shotgun kill2.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
CVT Hater thats a very intresting right main beam. Nice mount too.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
After deer season last year, I was dead set on getting a Remington 700 270 and a different scope. I had a Leupold Rifleman 3x9 40mm that let me down on one big eight. I called Cabelas and talked to 'em about the different scopes and the guy turned to a new company called Vortex. Checked 'em out and read all the reviews I could find. Alot of great things were said so I dropped money on this Vortex Optics - Diamondback 3.5-10x50 V-Plex. To bad I didn't get to hunt with it this year but I can say that it does pull in some light and sure is clear.
Are The Turrets on this Scope are made of aluminum?.....it's a little confusing....says reset to zero after zeroing in scope! :blink: (hey I'm a newbie)LOL

redfield makes a good scope for the money i would check them out. i put a new revolution on my ar
I like the eye relief on that scope, but it does not say anything if it's a 1 or 2 piece tube (that I could see)

there is one thing that really made me like Bushnell is there owned by Bausch & Lomb so there Glass is going to be hard to beat by anybody ........but it was a starting point for me,

Ive never bought a scope in my life, never had a reason to always had good eye sight, until the last few years & I'm just tired of shooting long shots on a hope and prayer! :lol:

Plus it give me something new to lean about, so I'm trying to learn what to look for in a Mid grade scope......Keep them suggestions coming, expand on what ya like about a particular scope and what to watch out for Bad points that a Novice like me needs to stay away from......got to get back to Knoxville in where I can actually lay hands on some different brands of scopes

Thanks for the input guys....going to read some more about them also going to look at the bone hunter scope by Bushnell price is around $150-175 also comes with the DOA Recital.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
SORRY LONG HERE GUYS

wydglide
I was a gun dealer for a while, and have been a long range shooter(1,000 yrd since the 80's)
I know a lot about scopes, or more than the average guy,
what makes a scope better is a combo of things, its not just good glass and a brand name that makes some cost more than others

when buying a scope, I personally think you really need to ask what its going to be used for
for the average deer hunter, MOST scopes work fine to be honest, from cheap to high $$ one's
BUT the trick to it is many things, a lower costs scope, is just that, typically made from lower end parts, thus glass and light can be an issue, BUT more importantly is the ability to hold and correct to a zero
and that is a BIG thing with scopes, and something many folks take for granted

we all hear how HIGH end Glass is so important in scope and binoculars and such
BUT in rifle scopes, there internal are as or more important if you ask me
its the constant and stay put reliability that is very very very hard to have
and add in recoil on a rifle, and the abuse we can put on one, and it gets harder
and its also a FACT that the most reliable one's out there are also the most costly scopes out there too
and they are all of names that most average hunters never really heard of
like Night force, USA optic, and Schmidt & Bender , there the tops in this dept, and any real testing
has proved it over and over
next best most common named is Leupold(higher end and military and law enforcemnet models, many of these are open for public as well, just called by them model names)
other company's might have better Glass, but not the repeatability of these scope
so again, insides matter a TON, all the more so if your a guy that likes to play with using the adjustments a lot
to the average guy that buys mounts on one rifle, and sights it in and , well calls that good, 80% of scopes today will work for you, IF you do your part
and by that I mean, you sight it in correctly and take good care of it, and test fire it from time to time , to see if its still holding!
for guys that like target turrets, and the new FAD of pre set target turret ( like Leupolds CDS, and other same types)
WELL folks, save up and buy one HIGH end scope, you will be tons happier and have tons more success
and learn how to correctly use it
and as for Mill dot scopes, same deal, BUY QUALITY , and learn the proper ways to use them, learn the math, as its truly needed

and as for multi retical scope, like Leupolds B&C, Nicons, BDC, and such
remember they are gereal ball park idea's, and only will work on a certain power setting on each scope for each rifle/caliber
and only way to tell what one's the one for your scope, is by shooting it at the ranges and with the SAME CORRECT power of the scope per that gun/load, caliber
there is no magic scope!
they are getting better, but its still the shooters call!

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will do some research....to be blunt I would like to be able to shoot Generally speaking 100-600 yards somewhere in that area, any further than that and I don't need to be shooting at it even plinking.

if you have a few General models in mind by all means throw out a few Model #'s, because I'm without question still on the basics, ..but I don't want to invest more money in a scope than all of my guns are worth to plink or try to out shoot one of my Friends.

the main reason I have been beginning with the Bushnell is I was really impressed with the info I got from one of the staff at BPS.....I was actually looking at a more expensive scope and asked for feedback and he turned me on to the Bushnell he "said" he used and had knocked around quite abit and was highly impressed with.....so thats were that come from....but Hey it's a beginning B)

I did learn something to day about Lens coating.... And NOT to get stuck on the Lens/Glass....... but scopes with a Green hue give a Yellowish view and a purplish/blue lens gives a very clear White viewand that was in the price range from $45-$800-ish can you expand on that, Are all coatings Equal?

Glide
Glock'in in the FREE World

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
Well I learned something new....I will not be able to buy a Nightforce Scope with a AVG price of $2000....**** I 'm having problems buying a $200 scope!:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
USA optics are out too....cheapest one is $1,075.00 still too rich for my blood....maybe luck with the next search!

Schmidt & Bender.....OUT, cheapest "I" could find $2,200....CRAP! GRRRRRR!...LMAO

·
Premium Member
3,838 Posts
I hear ya wyde them prices are outrageous, lol. Have a leupold on my Remington 700 .270 and it works just fine.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
again sorry being long
well Guys don't be scared, ITS NOT needed to spend thousands on a scope , but you do get what you pay for on reliable and repeatable with GOOD optic's
for yrs and even now there are folks that shoot 1,000+ yards with open sights and do well too!
BUt the thing with scopes is again its only as reliable as its parts
Now I am not bashing cheap scopes, no matter the name, and I am not saying that price alone means better
cheap scopes are cheap because they use cheaper parts, its simple math, NO one is going to invest more into parts, and then sell it for less than it cost them to build it
there are many many scopes that get tested in Magazines for repeatability of adjustments, water proof and so on, more than I can tell you I have personal experience with for sure
But I have been using scopes and have friends that have been using for competition for 30+ yrs, and can tell you what I have learned
Over the yrs every major USA company, leupold, bushnell, nikon, weaver and Burris, and so on have all had ups and downs on same make and model scope
it was like buy 10 of one model and odds were 2 or 3 didn't work a crap on making a lot of adjustments or, holding a zero
WHAT I learned , and that was again from being about the shooting end, and being a salesman of scopes and gun
the least scopes to ever come back to me , were Leupolds and weavers, with me selling all brands
BUT to be honest, most guys like I said, don't honestly shoot much, they buy a rifle/scope, and then sight it in, and forget about it
and most scopes work this way
I have seen 3,000.00 scope break from just shooting, the same as I have seen 50.00 scopes break
things happen, internals in scopes are small parts, and things happen!
when you get to AGAIN, high end models, they tend to use MUCH better parts now a day through yrs of experience
that said, a 800 dollar scope back in the 90's, is now a 200 scope in todays market, based on how far they advanced on materials and knowledge learned along the way
all your basic models by all the Brand names (NOT the elite's, nightforce, USA optic, and such)
use different quality parts, as to there middle line, and again to there top shelf models
you again really have to ask how much shooting you really plan to do, and what type of shooting, and how abusive you really are on a scope
I have sold thousands of guns, and I can tell you for a fact, less than 50% of all people don't shoot even close to as much as they think they will, and in todays market of prices of ammo, I can see why even fewer , rounds get sent down range
die hard shooter, shoot thousands of rounds a yr, competition shooters can do even more round, thus the budget for most folks just doesn't allow
yrs back ammo was tons cheaper(thanks to our current pre, things have double or more since he got elected)
to shoot 0-600 yrds is more shooter skill, if you are using a mill dot scope, and its of good repeatable quality(starting point here for price is going to be about a grand, sorry, that's just a fact)
NOW if you have lets say a middle of the road scope, say 400-600 bucks, and again sorry, but that's where middle is anymore
a scope in that price range with either like a leupold CDS type system, or a mulit reticle , like a
leupold B&C system, or any one of the likes, Burris ballistic plex and so on
and you learn how to use it, meaning you learn at what power it actually works with your rfile caliber bullet, many of then do work well out to 500+ yards,
BUT remember to shoot any long distance, long being to me, past 300 yrds
you really need to start understanding many more things than a scope, like having a GOOD range finder, learning how to read the wind, and some good REAL ballistic information on YOUR GUN AND AMMO,
not what it says on the box of factory ammo, or there web site
you need to chronograph your gun with "X" ammo, and then use a software program to give you REAL info on your set up
NOW sure you can guess with ball park info
but its a game of how accurate do you want to get
you can just fling ammo down range and work up DATA that way too, but these days with its costs, its cheaper to do as I am suggesting
I strongly suggest starting at 300 yrds and going out from there, if you want to learn long range too!,
for the average hunter that is
as MANY MANY loads don't work as well past 300 yrds as they do at 100, old school thinking was
a 1 inch group at 100 yrds will be a 3 inch group at 300, and so on!
well, I don't buy into that at all anymore, many group fall apart , and some tighten up once you get to 300, so working up a load for long range starts at 300 any more
and again, sorry if this is long
but there is tons of things to get good at long range, OR well ,
to be accurate at long range that is
anyone can sling bullets far and get lucky or be so so accurate, but it all take time and practice, and the more info you have, the faster you can get there
spending 500 dollars on ammo learning the trial and error method, isn't any cheaper than starting off with better gear and getting there faster
as for scopes I recommend
I am fond of leupold scopes, in there VXIII line and up, there on most of my hunting rifles
I have seen and have many folks that use Sightron SII scopes without any issue
I have had good luck with weaver scopes, and also with the Bushnell Elite series(3200/4200) models
the new Huskyman scopes are great scopes too, but your getting into higher price range again
as with nightforce, and usa optic, and so on
these are true performance scopes, and will last forever, something to think about when
Investing in a scope, and think of it that way, your investing in it , you can only be as good as your equipment allows(again, this stuff isn't needed, but its sure nice if you can)
I can go on, and sorry if this is too long, but there is a lot to tell if anyone wants to know more
feel free to ask me or PM me, and I will help all I can, some of my friends are professional long range shooters, and custom rifle builders

·
Registered
230 Posts
Leopold or Nikon are about the two best scopes for hunting that you can get for a reasonable price and still maintain functionality. I like the Nikons because they tend to start with a great price and have many options for scopes and reticles. Not to mention the Spot-On ballistics app for smartphones. That app is amazing. Anyway, most of my friends use Leopold and swear by them. I've seen the sight picture on my buddies 3-9x50mm even after dark. It's amazing the light that thing picks up. You won't go wrong with either of those options if you just wanna use it for hunting or shooting the odd target

21 - 40 of 332 Posts