Honda Foreman Forums banner

321 - 331 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice deer! Super jealous of all your mounts. I agree with with you about certain taxidermists. Seems to me, the guys that do only taxi work for a living don't do as good as the guy that does it as a hobby and makes money to. That's the situation with the guy I use now. He works a full time job and takes about 150 heads a year, him and his son do it. Which is understandable. I it was my only means of money is do as many as I could as quick as I could. Looks like y'all got excellent jeans over your way. Sucks that one was bit by your truck! I hate to see that happen. I had one jump in window one time haha. I screamed like a school girl.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
thanks
my 2 cents on taxidermist is this, many take in too many, and as they get behind or stressed out or?? there quality slips, to meet deadlines, or just get tired doing it
150 heads a yr is a LOT of heads for a part time guy! I would think they to fall into this issue.

as for good bucks in my area, NO< PA sucks, thats why I spent so much time hunting better places LOL

that buck I hit with the truck, I actually hit it twice, I /it jumped out in front of me at 75 mph, NO brakes I hit it, and it hit so hard it bounced up in the air, and before I could slow enough I hit it a second time !
a first there for me, was just glad I could still drive the truck, well after the tow truck that state trooper called in showed up, and pulled the bumper out a little, and she was good to go, minus a headlight on left side LOL
BUT I was a little over a 1,000 miles from home, so??
worked to get me there!

I also hit a buck and killed it once on a motorcycle, that one i didn't score so well on, spent a few hrs in an ER,
I did kill the buck a small 6 pointer, but it slid off a steep cliff like embankment, and we left it at the bottom, as I was too busted up to recover it!

I think only 2 of them bucks I posted are from PA, rest are from other states

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hitting a deer on a motorcycle is one if my worst fears. Watched to many youtube videos on that. Maybe I lied about the guy I use doing 150 haha. He may have said 50, but I could have swore he said 150. He said he goes out and works a few evenings and all weekend pretty much. He had 2 elk and one buffalo some guy sent him from New Mexico and somewhere else. The only other state I've hunted was Alabama. I went on a hunt there a few years back. Hunted property that bordered Jackie Bushmans land, and conservation officer rusty from buckmasters was down there, so that was pretty neat. Seen a lot of nice deer, some killed monsters, but I wasn't so lucky. Guess that's why they call it hunting. I couldn't believe how big bodied the deer were down there. It was around lowdensboro, few hours past Birmingham. We had a great time though. We're just tickled to have started this hunting club we got now, where we can actually manage the herd. I've hunted national forest most of my life.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
yes its a HUGE advantage when you can manage some land
and plat food plots so see have better food to eat, and then them food plots allow you MORE chances at deer, in which allows hunters more confidence in they can pass on more smaller bucks
and before long you start to have VERY nice bucks on your lands
But its still hard unless your lucky enough to have over 700 acres
as to me that's about what's really needed to save many from being killed off property as it really sucks when you let good 3-4 yr old's go, to only get killed off property, by them border hunters,. or worse trespassers
I honestly enjoy managing farms for bucks now, more than hunting them
wish I could make a living doing it, rather than it just being a joy for me LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use to not manage them, because I hunted national forest, there was really no use. I really like hunting national forest though, just gotta be prepared to walk the distance. The club we got is close to 3000 acres. It hasn't been hunted but by about 5 people the last few years, so there's so really good deer on it. It's overrun with bear though. We can't even leave the seats in our ladder stands cuz the bears tear them out, break the rungs on the ladders, rip trail cams off the trees and leave them in 100 pieces.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
ok I live ina very BEAR rich area
some advice I will tell you is this

BEARS live by there nose, and there nose leads them to investigate things\
if your trail cams are getting torn up, its cause your hand have scent of food or?? on them when your checking them
START wearing rubber scent free gloves when checking cam's and all will be good there

your seat cushions, two things
ONE STOP Farting on them LOL

second, your at the mercy of the foam company use, the scent again causes bears to chew on them to see if the smell tastes as good as it might smell to a bear

as for them breaking lugs on your stands, thats rather odd, as many bears I have seen using a ladder's steps to climb, never did any real damage, even on 500+ lbs bears I have seen do it
I get some 600+ bears here on my deck up my apple tree's all the time, never have ANY damage, and some days I might have 5- or 6 in my yard at same time
we co exist real well here
cannot tell you how many bears in the past 20+ yrs here have come over to me and let me pet them LOL
as they do get used to you if your outside a lot, and don't be as scared as one NOT used to your habits and scent
I don't recommend getting that close to bears, BUT here there just so common, it happens
there hunted here, they fear MOST humans
But me, I don't bother them, they don't bother me
even mother's with cubs
never had an issue yet in well over 30+ yrs of being and living in a bears home range here as I do
I happen to know more about bears than anyone should
helped trap them, tag em, crawled into dens, grabbed cubs and weighted them, tagged them, let them out of traps
I have bear experiences most would n\t believe if I told here!
and to DATE, not a single BAD encounter YET
and YES that can change in a heart beat
Still, I don't fear it or believe it will, knowledge is power
BUT mother nature is a wild woman LOL
so always stay alert in bear territory

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Well so far I have only managed 1 doe, and that was last Saturday. I let a bunch walk and only saw 1 buck. Too small to shoot him. I really wasn't into it this year because of a lot of other things going on taking up my weekends and evenings. Good thing is I took the last week off this year so I'm off from the 24th -1st! Only went on our dog hunting club once this year and I'm gonna hit it up a bunch the last week.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Getting a few this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Mule deer ...
Columbia Black Tailed deer ...
both of those are some slammers there,
wish I had more than just whitetails around here, gets old hunting them, on high pressured lands like we do here??
must be nice having so many species and well room to go after them and NOT be crowded

that's the main reason I started hunting out of state so often, more room to hunt else where, and NO one molesting my hunt , nothing pisses me off more than to walk FAR back in, in the dark to have a bunch of morons show up at first light, even WHEN they know your there??
JUST RUDE IMO, but its so common here in PA< I gave up hunting here last few yrs
NO fun in it here for me no more

321 - 331 of 331 Posts