Honda Foreman Forums banner

gear reduction info.

10K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  mwadems 
#1 ·
As some of you may already read the post on HL's site about the gear reduction kit for the foremans. WrecklessKelly , thanks to him has done all the leg work and found that the trx 300 clutch basket and drive gear are interchangable to the 400 and 450 foremans giving them the 14% gear reduction. <a href="http://www.highlifter.com/forum/Foreman" target="_blank">http://www.highlifter.com/forum/Foreman ... 584/tm.htm</a>

I have also installed a set in the wifes 400, works great and looks like the Nugent kit I have in my bikes. Which makes me think that they where the same kit.

#2 ·
could you get me the part numbers

#4 ·
You only need 2 pieces to do it. First you need a drive gear (23120-HC4-750) and the clutch basket (22100-HC4-000). It would also be a good idea to get a new gasket for the crankcase cover. Then re-use everything else.

www.hondapartsworld.com

23120-HC4-750 GEAR, DRIVE (27T) $108.00
22100-HC4-000 CLUTCH (OUTER) $275.44
11394-HM7-003 GASKET, FRONT $ 15.17 (04 FOREMAN 450S)
SUBTOTAL $398.61
SHIPPING $ 31.50 (TO TEXAS)
TOTAL $430.11

#5 ·
Reddog is right, a new gks will be needed. Also a puller will be needed to get the centrif. clutch out. basic hand tools and a impact to get the nuts off the clutches, but can be done without the impact.

#7 ·
yes it is a dealers item. I think new parts are around $400, they dont have to be new part, used gears will work just fine as long as they are not damaged. I got my second set of gears for around $50 used off ebay.

#8 ·
#9 ·
if you have a worn out bike 2500 miles or more, i dont see how u can have a brand new gear and it not wear the others out like crazy, the only way i can see it reliably is have a 300 drive gear w/ the same amount of wear or change EVERYTHING, i just dont see how it can last, that is like putting one good pad on your brakes, and leaving the other old one on it will just kill it.

#10 ·
your changeing the drive gear and the basket so taht has the same gear with the same amount of wear on it

#11 ·
if you have a worn out bike 2500 miles or more, i dont see how u can have a brand new gear and it not wear the others out like crazy, the only way i can see it reliably is have a 300 drive gear w/ the same amount of wear or change EVERYTHING, i just dont see how it can last, that is like putting one good pad on your brakes, and leaving the other old one on it will just kill it.

#12 ·
B4 do you know how the setup is made and how it is installed, it doesn't sound like it. But you do bring up some good points.

Find a parts list . You will see that the basket runs on a floating bushing that is inserted into the basket, so your reusing your factory bushing.

Now the drive gear uses a bushing on the inside of it that is press in. The only way it will wear out this bushing is if the bike was ran without oil and I still think something else will give out before this will ever cause a problem.

These parts will more than likely out last the bikes period.

#13 ·
ok so basically thats like saying that you have a old differential, and you want a lower gear, if you buy a new pinion and keep the old ring gear the pinion will immediatly get eaten up and nothing will last, its just to precise

#14 ·
you still didn't answer my question, so I assume you have no ideal in what is involved as I stated before. The subject is about gear reduction not diffs, you cant compair the two. I spent $50 on a used set that where in mint condition and your telling me I wasted my money. You go ahead buy your new parts and I will dig mine out of the trash.

#15 ·
a ring gear is not a straight cut drive gear. they dont wear at all the same . plus read the the past posts, you installing a complete gear set that is from another bike. no mixing of new and old gears. plus if you ever seen or installed a rincon gear reduction then you would know what Dirty is sayin .

#16 ·
neither of yall hear what im sayin, i used the differential as an example, just as far as gear wear, if you take an old gear and a new gear of any sort size ratio or figure it will wear quickly, i do agree w/ what dirty said though get some that are partially worn, then i could see how it would last a little while, yall get your panties in a bunch to fast about whos right and wrong, and no vettepin not everybody in the world has put a gear reduction in a rincon, and no ive never been all through a drive system, but ive got enough common since as to say a new gear and a old gear wont work

#17 ·
ok , but the only way to get a reduction in a 450 is to change both the gear basket and the drive gear at the same time. there is no mixing and matching of gears (new or old). you can order new parts if you want but old gears are fine they are very tough .

plus on a rincon gear reduction ,turner takes two teeth out of the drive gear size and makes a shaper tooth shape so they mesh into the gear basket. this way of doing a reduction blewn my mind when i saw it. but is fits in there and works.

#20 ·
So if I'm reading this correctly, I have a blown trx 300 motor sittin behind the shop, this motor is all I need for the gear reduction deal? Does'nt matter if it's a 4wd drive motor or not, right? If so this is great because that side case on this motor has never been off, I don't think, but it has been sittin out for a while. How hard is it to do this mod on a ES model?

Jamie R.
'01 Foreman Es

#21 ·
all you are doing is replacing two pieces, the clutch basket and the drive gear under the centrif. clutch.

you will need to remove the front clutch cover, pull the centrif clutch out which requires a puller and pull the clutch basket out. you just install the the drive gear and the clutch basket from the 300. you can reuse you foreman clutches, they are a exact replacement. the only other part you will need is a new clutch cover gks. if the motor was sealed up and the gears are not damaged then you shouldn't have a problem.

#23 ·
reduction is worth it i haul my 28s like there stock have nt been in mud yet but have towed a few trees out for firewood and it has never thought of bogging wiht the compination of the 28s and the reduction is pulls just liket he stock tires are on it dosent slow you down i have had mine up to 50 wiht the 28s and reduction i had a fried ride along side on a stock machine and tell me the speed

#24 ·
QUOTE ("big4fifty4man":204xgxu5)
Why would you consider a bike worn out at 2500 miles? I put that many on mine in less than a year.

#25 ·
Gear Reduction

Found a complete clutc and drive gear today for 50 buying tommorrow. Hopefully I can install it this weekend.

#26 ·
well worth the price of even new parts i have gone trough stuff a razr rhino grizz and 800 outlander-popo have sank trying. my top speed is 38 but that dont bother me what is, the 1 wheel wheelies whooot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.