Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In FEB ATV magizine there is an artical that talks about using a higher octane which will give you smoother power, and better performance. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I do understand, and know all about octane, and performance values, but in some cases when you don't actually need higher octane (i.e. high compression) it wont do you any good unless you tune for it (i.e. advancing the timing)

If this artical is correct going from the standard 87 octane to the mid range of 89 or higher, it will do you good.

Let me know what you all are using. Is it working for you if your not running regular?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can only speak from my race car engine building. Bore has nothing to do with it unless the compression is raised. Years ago we would build street race V8's using a flat top 10.1 piston because you could still run pump gas. If you wanted more you could run a 105 racing fuel and advance your timing which would equal more power. Gas is not the power, the advancing the timing is, but since you advance the timing you needed a higher octane that would not detonate as fast.

Just to explain a bit , 87 octane explodes with a bang so to speak or shoves the piston abrubtly. The higher the octane (93+) the slower the burn or in other words it pushes the piston forcfully but not abrubtly which can produce a smoother better power.

So to answer your question, boring would not require higher octane. A proformance piston of higher compression or advancing the timing or both could or would require a higher octane.

How I did not make that to confusuing

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE ("Hondude":1edv0ju3)
I can only speak from my race car engine building. Bore has nothing to do with it unless the compression is raised. Years ago we would build street race V8's using a flat top 10.1 piston because you could still run pump gas. If you wanted more you could run a 105 racing fuel and advance your timing which would equal more power. Gas is not the power, the advancing the timing is, but since you advance the timing you needed a higher octane that would not detonate as fast.

Just to explain a bit , 87 octane explodes with a bang so to speak or shoves the piston abrubtly. The higher the octane (93+) the slower the burn or in other words it pushes the piston forcfully but not abrubtly which can produce a smoother better power.

So to answer your question, boring would not require higher octane. A proformance piston of higher compression or advancing the timing or both could or would require a higher octane.

Hope I did not make that to confusuing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.