Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anybody noticed after adding a lift and bigger tires that your front wheels seem to not roll exactly straight? Could this be from the different angle on the CV joints or the toe in, toe out, thing? My new Zillas seemed to look off balance while riding today. This was the first time i've used them. I double checked my lugs and all were tight as could be. It did it on both front wheels though. The ride or steering was not affected. The rears had no problem. Just wondering if something needs adjusting or if this is expected. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,838 Posts
Upper a-arm bushings?

·
Premium Member
10,389 Posts
most likely upper a-arm bushings. when u put more aggresive tires on ur machine it will grab more. so when u have imperfections in ur alignment or anything else u'll notice it. the stock tires r very forgiving

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So do i need to replace these or what? The bike only has 450 miles on it so i wouldn't think they'd need replacing yet. What do people usually do for this? Is this common on these models after adding bigger aggressive tires?

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
you need to jack the front up (under front skid plate in center),grab the tire and give it a shake 12 and 6 ...and 3 and 9...if you feel somthing is loose,see where it is moving .
with only 450 miles i doubt its wheel bearings or controle arm bushings are bad
are bolth tires beads seated on the rim right
when jacked up spin each tire look for a hop in tire
good luck ....RICH

·
Registered
405 Posts
Eliminate all possible problems. 1. look at both tires make sure on it not turned out or in more than the other, make sure when the handle bar is straight the wheels are perfectly straight. 2. jack the bike up n spin the wheels to see if there is something wrong with the rims or tires. 3. take off wheels pull the hub in and out to see if you have play. 4. check the tie rods, and all bushings for wear n play. If you do all of this you should find any problem or problems that is causing what you are describing.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hichjack........Does everyone leave the factory toe out or make the wheels straighter? I would think the factory would make things wear faster.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions, i'll work on it this evening.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible to adjust the length on the Tie Rods? It looked to me like they could be screwed in or out. I took some pictures yesterday which i'll post later but it looks that when the handle bars are straight that the tires seem to point slightly outward towards the front and the rear of the tires are more inward like this / \ < this represeting a frontal above view. Just wondering if i could adjust the tie rods, maybe lengthen them, then the tires would straighten out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
319 Posts
ya. i put the bars straight, then using tie downs to secure and keep straight. then adjust the toe. it seems most here prefer toe out, but i personally run 1/8" toe in on each front, this will ease the turning and trade some top end stability, but its not like this thing is fast or anything...haha, like my 450R, so im not worried about losing stability

make sure to adjust the toe with the bike on the ground, not up on a lift

·
Registered
405 Posts
u need an alignment. tie rods does screw in and out that is part of the alignment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well Mission, the toe in/out is not top to bottom... my problem is front to rear. The wheels look like they pointing opposite each other from the front.

·
Registered
319 Posts
maybe im misunderstanding your question? front to rear is toe, top to bottom is camber.
toe is the only adjustment that the tie-rods affect. to adjust camber, you would have to have adjustable ball joints on the upper a-arms or a heim joint where the upper arms meet the frame

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats exactly what i was talking about....nice graphics. Yeah i mean the toe....my tires TOE OUT..i just didn't know the technical terms. So then i'll i have to do is adjust the tie rods? That sounds easy enough....is it harder than it sounds?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts