Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to go for a ride the other night and my left front wheel was a little wobbly...took it apart and saw that it was the bearing....after further inspection i see that there are two bearings in there and i can't seem to get the outer ring out of the wheel hub...

someone suggested going to a mchine shop but i don't have the time nor the cash to do so. does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
its not to bad to get out. a press would work well here on the removeal and install, but most dont have access to one.
first thing is to remove the knuckle from the bike. remove the seals and then remove the snap ring that holds the bearing in place. The outer bearing race is one piece and the enter race is a 2 piece design. once the snap ring is removed, I use a socket just big enough to fit on the outer race of the bearing. using a brass or deadblow hammer, drive it out. more than likely it will come out in pieces. Once out clean the knuckle as needed. Put the new bearing in the freezer before you start the job so it can get good and cold. this will contract the bearing alittle making it easier to install. using the old bearing outer race. use it on the new bearing to drive back in. once the new bearing is flush with the surface of the knuckle. use a punch or a bearing driver to press it the rest of the way in, make sure to only hit on the outer part of the new bearing to keep from damaging it. now time for the snap ring and seal. I think thats everything.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dirty4man=god

awesome description.

sounds pretty straight forward, but i am stuck at the part where you take out the old outer race part....everything else is out....but i can't move that *******...we tried a socket the same size and smacking it with a hammer, and just about everything else. my last resort is to take it to the crappy little honda place here in town so they can try a hand at it and hopefully not want to charge me $1000 to do...

**** i wish you lived closer and we were best friends so you could do this for me... just jokin

but thanks for all your help

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It should come out, may take alittle force. Just make sure your not hitting the bearing stop inside the knuckle. Its almost as wide as the outer bearing race. Knock the inter part of the bearing out and set the socket on the inside of old bearing. Set it on a solid surface and hit it a couple good times.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
last resort

i tried all that, nothing helped. i brought it in today and the guy said it will be $55 per hour labor to remove the old one, and $50 for the new parts.

i am broke as it is but **** i need my bike running....

so i left it with him and they will call me when they get it done....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Little To Late

This maybe a Little To Late but if you arc weld on the in side of a bearing race at a medium to high heat it will shrink the race and almost fall out.It need not be a pretty weld to work,to protect a casting from weld spatter coat the expossed casting parts with anti-spater paste the type used for mig welding.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, they will eventually grind themselves down to nothing and if that happens it wil damage the knuckle (the part that holds on the wheel).

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
which is bad because you get stuck with broken barings and knuckle verus the would just brocken bearings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.