Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 500 Foreman, recently this weekend after letting someone else ride my 4wheeler while i followed them i noticed that my front left tire is toed out a good bit. Ive also noticed uneven wear on this tire so this must be the cause. I pretty much understand how to adjust the toe in and out. But the where to measure to and from, im confused. Could someone help me out or point to a guide? Should they be toed in or out? or at zero?
thanks!
-sam

·
Registered
471 Posts
the official instructions looked a little difficult or didnt understand, maybe too many buds. anyhow i eyeballed the alignment when i did mine and didnt have any problems.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Is this really a big deal or is it just something that bugs you guys or what?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i believe that my left is toed out waaaaaaaay to much. thus the uneven tire wear ive noticed. just wondering if there was a technique i could use to correctly set my toe. but i dont have a toe gauge like the honda instructions call for.

·
Registered
75 Posts
there is something about the honda method of alignment that i have never liked and it is in reference to the front adjustment in relation to the rear tires. it is possible to misalign them. i use another system that requires no special tools. tie a string to 2 jack stands and place them a couple feet behind the atv. run the string forward and tie them off to 2 more jack stands or other suitable objects. the point is that the string must be taut. the string will be against the rear most rear tire sidewall. adjust the front stands so that the string just touches the forward part of the rear tire sidewall. this references the rear tires. with a tape measure you can now measure the distance from the string to the front and rear sidewalls on the front tires. i'm sorry if my explanation is not clear but once you try this system you can see how simple it is and actually allows 2 people to check alignment w/o any jackstands, simply holding the string.

·
Registered
158 Posts
An easy way to check the front alignment is to set the quad on level ground and ensure the wheels are as straight as possible. Then make a mark at centre of the front of both tires with a grease pencil or similar(I usually take a knife a scrape a line through the grease mark for accuracy). Measure between these two marks. Then roll the quad back until the marks are at the rear of the tires(will have to go just below centre because of the frame) and take a measurement there. Adjust your toe-in until the measurements are the same. I set mine at zero and have had no problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea could i just measure from the inside of the rims? seems more accurate. I attempted this yesterday but i couldnt get the inside lock nuts loose on the tie rod. are they threaded opposite?

·
Registered
471 Posts
they are regular threaded. they just real difficult to break loose. i tried heat and everything i could think of. just brute strength.

i know a month or so ago someone was talking about a special ratchet or something made that works well. maybe someone will pipe in and say something.

·
Registered
343 Posts
QUOTE ("joecamel":2hef8z4n)
they are regular threaded. they just real difficult to break loose. i tried heat and everything i could think of. just brute strength.

i know a month or so ago someone was talking about a special ratchet or something made that works well. maybe someone will pipe in and say something.
You could be thinking of what I said on another post. I used what we call a "crows foot". I am not sure what there really called. It's an open end wrench but it's only about 1 1/2" long. It has a square cut in it so you can insert a ratchet. So what I done was put the crows foot on the nut then used 2 extensions to get out toward the wheel and put my ratchet on and turn. Be carefull so that you don't round the corners on the nut.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here's a pic of one that I found.

·
Registered
471 Posts
yep

thats what it was. ive never seen one but will have to look next time i try to adjust the toe. thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.