Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i finally had the time to take my bike apart to see what the deal was....

i started with the spark plug b/c it was the cause of my last issue...it was fine. then i went to the exhaust, checked it from front to back for cracks or holes or anything....nothing, got to the rear and pulled the spark arrester out CAKED FULL OF MUD! pulled it out and the bike ran fine...

i guess the pressure made the exhaust come out of the slip on part b/c it couldn't get out b/c of the mud...

now the real problem is the front differential, it was making a popping noise when i turned...so i took off my stick stoppers and looked in the fill hole and saw that the oil was milky, drained it, and refilled it...it ran fine for about an hour or so then it starting popping again...

i noticed that it only popped when i started off kinda sudden in fwd from a dead stop...or when i was coming out of a hole and the front wheel hopped once or twice...

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

maybe it's time for a dgl?! hahaha

·
Registered
471 Posts
is there still water in it? double check it and change it again if you need to. other than that you'll probably have to tear it down or just leave it in 2wd. i may be wrong but i don't think a dgl will replace the whole front differential.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there isn't any water in it now...it looks clean...but that is all i can do is look...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh my god.

if i have to go through all that... anyone want to buy a foreman?

hahaha

i wouldn't know where to start...

·
Registered
471 Posts
QUOTE ("cra5h":cd18jwew)
oh my god.

if i have to go through all that... anyone want to buy a foreman?

hahaha

i wouldn't know where to start...

well, the good new is that if its shot already you can't hurt it. if you are wanting a dgl double check with them on installation and tell them your problem, they may be able to help more.

get a couple 30 packs, a honda service manual and see what you can do. you never know you may be surprised what kind of damage you can do, or fix.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesn't happen all the time... i rode for about 4 hours the other day and it only did it two or three times...

so i don't think it's shot. i will just have to get a service manual and pull it apart when i have a few days to mess with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i notice the same popping...but i have a bumber i made bolted on and i thought it was just the bumper or plastic...anyone else have this problem...how much does the dgl run?

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
DGL runs $340 from ATV Outfitters if you call your order in i think matt will discount it a bit.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
has anyone taken out a front diff?? would it be better for me to bring it to someone to get checked?

i just don't want to get in a situation where i have it apart and don't know what to do next, or i lose something and cant get it back in...

how much would a new front diff cost?

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
holy moley...

if all those parts fit inside that little diff., i think i will have to find a shop around here to fix it.

i am way too inexperienced to tackle that... anyone on here done it before??

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha i talked to a local guy here and he said that it may be my bearings that are causing the noise from my u joints or something...so he is going to change them for me to see if it is one of those that are screwed up first before we tear into the diff. but if we do have to open the diff, it's not going back together without a dgl...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did all that...a guy came over and thought that it could be my bearings that are making the u joints pop...so he is going to change them for me...

we shall see...

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
will do...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.