Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Honda Forman 450. It has gotten a little harder to start and it dies once started unless I keep on the gas. I noticed fuel coming out of the air intake into the filter. It was like a slight spray. So I replaced the carb and the air filter. However, it still has the same problem; hard to start, dies if I let off the fuel, and spraying fuel out the carb at the air intake. I also noticed the fuel coming out the back of the carb was slightly cloudy after replacing the carb (was not like that before the replacement). However, it's not putting out as much fuel with the new carburetor on it. I didn't think it should be pushing anything out the air intake.

Any ideas on what this maybe?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay, I want to clarify something and hopefully, somebody can answer my question. It turns out it is not only gas leaking out of the carb it is also oil mixed in. The cloudiness could have been there before the replacement of the carb but not as profound hence why I didn't notice it before. I took the head off the engine and found oil in the cylinder and a lot of black oily buildup. I don't think it is piston rings because I have 120 psi for compression with no leak down. The head gasket is new and I don't see anything wrong with it. The valve stem seals are also new but when I took the valves out I found that the valve stems were covered in oil and the back of the valve heads for the intake and exhaust had oil on them. I used a dial caliper on the valve stems and found the stems are worn at least .001 in. smaller where the valve stem seals sit. I think oil is getting into the cylinder through the valves. Would I be able to replace the valves and seals or would I have to get a new head altogether? Would new valves be a problem with the old valve seats? Can you put new valves on the old valve seats and not run into a compression problem?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts