Honda Foreman Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
When you initialized it did the control motor sound smooth when it cycled or kind of rough? Code 11 is for the shift control motor circuit. If the motor is dirty on the inside initializing it will "clean" it just enough for it to work for a while and then give problems again.
Its a brand new motor that just arrived an hour before i stuck it in. To be honest i just heard it running. I didnt really pay too much attention to how it was running. (my cooling fan is wired up directly so i cant really hear over the noise of it.) but when i tried it using a 12v supply on it worked perfect.

· Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Dialectic grease will keep moisture out of the connections and thus stop corrosion.

I've gobbed all kinds of dialectic grase on my electrical connectors on my ATV's and Jeeps. It doesn't hurt, but it does help.

· Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 Rubicon but was flashing code 5 it was the ecm? Did you try try resetting the shift motor by pressing & holding the up/down shift buttons while turning the key on then go up down up and push & release the throttle. You should here the shift motor cycle both directions then stop in a neutral position.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yes, I've tried that. It worked the first time and then stopped working after a few minutes. It won't reset again, I think the reason for this is the throttle position sensor is bad and I cannot complete the last step in the reset. But anyway the fault code that is showing currently is code 11 and NOT 5 (throttle position sensor) although it was shown earlier in the week. Thanks

· Premium Member
6,295 Posts
They aren't cheap, especially in the UK.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu...382410/30410hn2a21-control-unit-c-d-i-ho.aspx

I've had a Foreman throw a TPS error code several times, and the TPS was fine. The troubleshooting then pointed to a bad ECU. It wasn't a bad ECU, it was a bad/weak connection. I took the connections apart on the ECU and cleaned the crap out of them, and then put grease on them and reconnected them and haven't had the error code since.

A broken wire or loose connection will give the same error code as a bad ECU, and at 400+ euros, I think I"d keep tinkering on it.

Have you taken off the front fender to access the ECU? It's mounted below the top headlight U NDER the front fender, so the front fender has to come off to get to it. Take the front fender off, unplug the ECU, and clean the connections well, and then FIRMLY plug it back in and see what happens.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
They aren't cheap, especially in the UK.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu...382410/30410hn2a21-control-unit-c-d-i-ho.aspx

I've had a Foreman throw a TPS error code several times, and the TPS was fine. The troubleshooting then pointed to a bad ECU. It wasn't a bad ECU, it was a bad/weak connection. I took the connections apart on the ECU and cleaned the crap out of them, and then put grease on them and reconnected them and haven't had the error code since.

A broken wire or loose connection will give the same error code as a bad ECU, and at 400+ euros, I think I"d keep tinkering on it.

Have you taken off the front fender to access the ECU? It's mounted below the top headlight U NDER the front fender, so the front fender has to come off to get to it. Take the front fender off, unplug the ECU, and clean the connections well, and then FIRMLY plug it back in and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply. Mine is a 2001 trx500fa and i think my ecm is at the back. That's sound advice. I'll give it a again although I've already used connection cleaner spray and grease on the connections i could see. Ill strip off all the fenders and check if i missed any :hope: . I priced an ECM at 525 euros so I'll try everything else first.
Thanks for the Help.
Patrick
P.S. Keep it coming ;)

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hey, I just went out and started the bike and it worked for a few seconds after starting. Before I started taking it apart I decided to lift it up to change the oil. The level was high on the dipstick and when I drained some out it was very thin and smelled like petrol. What's causing this and could the high level or smell of the oil be related to my hondmatic issue? Also what is the recommended replacement oil? And as I'm under the bike right now there are two drainage bolts. What's the purpose of the second one (more towards the front of the ATV) ?
Thanks

· Premium Member
6,295 Posts
You actually have a oil tank drain (front), an oil filter bolt, and the regular crank case drain.

If your oil smells like gas your float needle in your carb probably isn't fully sealing. There is a drain hose that comes off the bottom of the carb that should allow the gas to drain onto the ground, but it may be clogged.

I doubt that would cause error codes, but it would case premature wear on your top end if you ran it like that for long.

Replacement oil needs to be JASO MA rated. Should be a circle on the back of the oil bottle that will tell you what specs the oil meets.

I run 5W40 or 10W40 in mine. I use Rotella, but I don't know if you have that over there. Seems like Motul (?) might be what folks over there use?

· Registered
1 Posts
long shot here but have you replaced the grease in the shift motor??
old sticky dry grease can cause many E shifts from shifting!!
NOT sure if it would cause a error on display
but its a known weak link/problem, that many clean re grease and are good for s few more yrs??
Hi I’m Tom new here I have an 02 hondamatic 500 4x4 forman rubicon 1500 miles on it won’t shift and there are no codes I’ve replaced oil pump chain shift motor angle sensor no bad wires it’s turning out to be a night mare can any one help I’ve tried 2or3 ways to reset computer nothing

21 - 35 of 35 Posts