Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum.
My 2001 Honda TRX500FA refuses to change gears. I have changed the shift motor (which was ruined) and angle sensor for new parts and still no go! When I turn on the ignition, D1 D2 ESP -- flashes non stop pretty rapidly. What do I do? Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Patrick.
:|

· Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Cound the number of blinks. Should be a pattern.

· Premium Member
6,295 Posts

· Registered
3,417 Posts
long shot here but have you replaced the grease in the shift motor??
old sticky dry grease can cause many E shifts from shifting!!
NOT sure if it would cause a error on display
but its a known weak link/problem, that many clean re grease and are good for s few more yrs??

· Registered
3,417 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH and most dealers charge 80-100 bucks an hr, so pricey??
all comes down to HOW fast they can find the issue and fix it, , NEVER cheap to go to the dealer IMO!!
you can also look on EBay for a used hard copy manual, might be worth buying before heading to a dealer?? all the more so if you plan to keep the atv, call it an investment?

Honda Service Manual 2001 2003 TRX500FA TRX 500 FA Rubicon 61HN202 | eBay

2001 Honda TRX500FA service manual | eBay
Thanks,
I doubt it needs grease because its a brand new motor that arrived yesterday and it works fine when i put it on a 12v power supply. Any other ideas?
Thanks for the manual links btw
Patrick

· Premium Member
6,295 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone.
I was going to order a throttle position sensor as the fault code 4 was showing so i took it out to see if it looked the same as the one in the ad. When i finished i stuck it back into the quad and started it up (just for the fun) and it works 100% perfect like new!!!!. Why would the quad refuse to change gear because of a faulty THROTTLE sensor!!!!???? Anyway that doesn't matter. Its fixed and thats all i care about. Thanks to everyone who helped and contributed information!!! :) Best of luck :)

· Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Get some dialectic grease and grease all your connections. Moisture gets in there and you get a little corrosion and next thing you know something doesn't work.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get some dialectic grease and grease all your connections. Moisture gets in there and you get a little corrosion and next thing you know something doesn't work.
FFS! I just took it for a quick ride and now its back to the way it was except it shows code 11 instead of 4!!! Ill do what you said tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Patrick

· Premium Member
6,295 Posts
Did you reinitialize it again after you greased everything?

Toodeep might have more input. This kind of thing is why I ride the old air cooled footshifts! Not so many electronics!

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you reinitialize it again after you greased everything?

Toodeep might have more input. This kind of thing is why I ride the old air cooled footshifts! Not so many electronics!
Ya, I reinitialized it after I greased them and it worked fine for a while and the stopped. It now shows code 11 and wont make any noise when I reinitialize it. I think this might be due to a problem with the throttle sensor ( It showed code 4 when this crap started ) which prevents me from completing the reinitialize procedure.
I'm 100% in agreement with your thoughts on modern electrics. The quad only has 250 hours ( 1450 miles ) and its giving me migraines. An aircooled footshift would never break the way these things do!!!

· Premium Member
13,197 Posts
When you initialized it did the control motor sound smooth when it cycled or kind of rough? Code 11 is for the shift control motor circuit. If the motor is dirty on the inside initializing it will "clean" it just enough for it to work for a while and then give problems again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts