Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought my foreman 500 es and i'm not diggen the es part to much, i grew up on sport quads with manuals, this whole push a button thing is gunna take alot of gettin used to. or........ what about switchen it to a S? all i would need is a new left side snap panel and an actuall shifter, not one that came as a back up. would this work? am i realy gunna mess up the silinoid or even worse the tranny for some reason? i'm just brain storming here, i'm sure the es is fine and all idk i just gotta get used to the lag time it takes to switch gears, i tend to hit the throttle before it actually shifts. (not good). this might be a bumb idea but i figured i would throw it out there. but i love this quad even with the es, just gunna need a little gettin used to.

bowz

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a Foreman S and I just like the old fasion way and you know what they say about electric and water don't mix. To me with out the es is one less thing to go wrong or worry about.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i totally agree with you on that one, i would have gotten the s but they didnt have it in stock, or another color besides green, the guy gave me a good deal for this one down here in fl and i coudlnt turn it away. so we'll see, i plan on snorkling, k&n, jet, clip spring, hmf utility, biggest 589's that i can stuff with out putting a lift, detroit gearless locker, and a winch. i want it to be a mudd machine:D

bowz

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mine could fit 27" ITP 589's no problem. I had the lift just incase. I am pritty sure that you can fit the 28" with no problems.

·
Registered
266 Posts
28" are the biggest also.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
if you want a mud machine dont get the 589's....granted almost everybody does when they first get into the hobby but i would bypass them if i were you. coming from a person that has been there and done that. outlaws,mudzillas, or the bi/tri claws...those are the tires you will want the more you get involved in mudding.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Trust me, once you get used to the ES you will love it. Hated mine at first but when you are off the bike to the side in a mudhole you will definitely see the benefits. And about lag time? Once you get used to the ES it is way faster than a manual. Just my 2cents but give it a chance and you will love it. I also have a manual 400 and would take the ES over it any day.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Don't knock the ES the newer ones are just fine. You say "electric and water don't mix" but it's not going to stop you from playing with yours in the water and it has electric stuff on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tough it out I think you will love the ES once used to it and it's pretty bullit proof as far as water goes. Besides when your buddys with there S's are in there mud/water holes stuck and there left Boot fills with water while there looking for the shifter and it stalls and can't find reverse, you can laugh your but off and yell "JUST PUSH UP ON THE SHIFT BUTTON YOU DON"T HAVE" Enjoy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've always owned footshifts, and my new Foreman had to be the same cause I was used to it. I like the fact that I can use the throttle and hold my shotgun over my knees with my left hand when I'm bird hunting, something you can't do with ES, which was the clincher in deciding to go for the S.

My buddy has ES and loves it, says it's fun to cruise the beach in sandals or barefeet (which is painful with a footshift) however I like to be able to stomp it into a lower gear if need be, whereas ES will not allow you to downshift at high RPMs (which is generally better for your machine!)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
ES is a nice option, you should like it once you get used to it. i dont think it is good for riding fast and stuff because it dosent shift while its reved up but all in all its a nice option.
-Aaron

·
Registered
936 Posts
ya drove a rancher before and it was a s... which we i got my foreman it was harder to get us to... and my dad has a rubicon which when i ride it i cant stand it to b in d1 i have to put it in 2 esp just so i dont push the bottons..... ES ANY DAY OF THE WEEK...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
big daddy, you are totally right, will never stop me from playing in the water. haha

deadmullet, i'm interested in what u say about the 589's, every one i have talked to said they loved them, i have thow also been lookin at the maxxis mudzillas, stuff them under the fenders and then use stock tire/wheel combo for regular trail riding.

i appreciate all ya alls feed back it is verry helpfull.

bowz

·
Registered
471 Posts
QUOTE ("mafman":8bbj0s1n)
My buddy has ES and loves it, says it's fun to cruise the beach in sandals or barefeet (which is painful with a footshift) however I like to be able to stomp it into a lower gear if need be, whereas ES will not allow you to downshift at high RPMs (which is generally better for your machine!)
ive got a pair of teva sandals that i wear in the summer. the strap hits the foot shifter perfect and doesnt rub at all. much better than shoes full of water and mud.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I love the es i would never go back to a footshifter......it is so much eiseir when your in fender deep water or such to find reverse then it is with a foot shifter just make sure that you dielectric grease your angle sensor and tps (throttle positioning switch) and you will be just fine

·
Registered
670 Posts

i am old school when it comes to riding....

the way i look at it is like this....

the ES is nice if you are cruising the trails on a small bike.

but if you have a foreman the S is perfect. with a bike that big i think that it is important to be able to feel the thing shifting and not just listen for it.

you can feel it click with your foot and you know it's in, also, when we ride here we like to get up to 5th gear on the straight-a-ways and push the shifter down and hold it (pretty much like holding in the clutch in a truck) and coast through some areas where "riding is prohibited" so that no one will hear us at all. the bikes just idle. THAt you can't do with ES.

and about the comment with water/mud in your boots with an S and not an ES.... THAT IS B/C EVERYONE I KNOW WITH AN ES ARE PANSIES AND DON'T WANT TO GET THEIR LITTLE FEET WET. YOU ARE MUDDING AND YOU WANT AN ES SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET FULL OF MUD AND WATER THEN GO HOME!!!!

but, then again we are all entitled to our own $.02

sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My 06 is an ES, I think the ES positives outweigh the S positives. Just plain old convenience, although sometimes I would prefer the S.

There's a definitive answer for ya..............

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i went out riddingthe other day, much better, its gunna take some gettin used to, but i think i can deal with it. i'm not gunna be able to jam gears like i do with my 400ex. but i dont need to, its not ment for it. its crazy how easy i can pop the front tires up, and it rides awsome. i think i'll be happy with the es. thanks for the replys

bowz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.