Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the new 500 out for her maiden voyage today. That first mud hole was tough to go through, I didn't want to get it dirty First deep water I went through it stalled, it stalled in any bit of water over the muffler, and if it didnt stall, it lost 90% power, very very frustrating. Anyone else suffer from this problem? My guess is the stock exhaust is very restrictive, since it does have a cat in it. The carb vents were ran to the handlebar, and the drain tube was blocked, so those were not the problems.

I checked my oil after about 3 hours or so of riding, and it was pretty white (must have come in through the exhaust when it was stalling), so that ended the day for me, Rubicon3303 towed me back to the truck jus to be safe. Needless to say, the first oil change is coming sooner then expected.

The good news is, this thing rides soooooo much better then the 450, night and day difference. The power is a lot better as well. Acceleration is great, and in 2wd going through mud its slings it up with the best of them!

Overall it was a slightly disappointing first outing, with all the stalling and power loss. Hopefully no damage was caused with the water in the oil.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Sorry to hear about the milkshake, but I'mm happy to see you like the new bike. Mine stalled a lot in water when it was stock too. But plugging the carb drain seemed to take care of it. Even w/ the stock pipe.

Did you put the carb drain hose on the clamp for the rear end? I had mine stall out once when I plugged my drain there. Since then, I have gone back to the screw to plug it w/ no probs. I don't think that threaded part of the clamp is big enough to seal it 100%. IMO

Get that thing ready for Holipaw next weekend.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the screw directly in the drain hose.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Robb I had the same prob w/mine. I didn't get any in the motor, but the thing does not like water over the exhaust. Luckily removeing the baffle helped me. I also built that plate and snorkle so I have no more probs w/water. I tore my snorkle off on a limb yesterday(made it too tall) so I spent the rest of the day rideing with the baffle removed. I did fine like that. Had no trouble with the open exhaust.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats strange - I took my baffle off about halfway into our ride, it helped a little...but not that much. Still stalled, still got weak underwater.

·
Registered
242 Posts
stalling

did you dieelectric the plug

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
get that hmf

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: stalling

QUOTE ("dano":35g0nl94)
did you dieelectric the plug
Yep.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Sorry to hear about your first time out.

I knew it wasnt just me having problems in water.

For the record this last weekend with a screw in the carb drain it ran better than it has in past experiences. granted i never ran continous with the exhaust underwater just basically in and out of holes.

that little box thing under the rear fender. should that be di-electric greased also? what is it? looks important but you wouldnt think Honda would put a critical componet so exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Thats the voltage rectifier/regulator. I greased mine. It sure won't hurt it, better get it now before its gets real nasty inside.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE ("deadmullet":1ghoc7hl)
Sorry to hear about your first time out.

I knew it wasnt just me having problems in water.

For the record this last weekend with a screw in the carb drain it ran better than it has in past experiences. granted i never ran continous with the exhaust underwater just basically in and out of holes.

that little box thing under the rear fender. should that be di-electric greased also? what is it? looks important but you wouldnt think Honda would put a critical componet so exposed to the elements.
was it better with the HMF? I should have mine here tomorrow, if that doesnt help things, the 500 will have to find a new home.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
I never had a problem with mine when it went under after pluging the drain. I took the baffle out of the exhuast and it seemed to give it a little but I had no problems before. The hmf should make a huge difference. I ride in deep water the most and have a blast doin it, sorry to here you are having problems.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
much better... I think

Yes it keeps running now but is it soley because of the pipe or is it me on the gas more because i am aware of the problem now?

I havent just let it idle with the pipw under water to see if it will keep running which i guess is the true test.

in the 500's defense. dano runs the piss out of his underwater and has no problems with it stalling. Next time i go i should have the snorkel on and the combination should fix it. In theory of course.

If not, both of them will turn into Artificial reefs .

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
On monday I was in a couple of holes where I was siiting there idling with the exhaust under water. I tried to push a guy out of a hole that was about seat deep and I had no problems. I will mamke sure to pay more attention to it tonight when I go out. I don't think and am on it all of the time while it is under, but you never know I am usually just trying to figure out how to get out.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE ("bnjeep":jaicggef)
On monday I was in a couple of holes where I was siiting there idling with the exhaust under water. I tried to push a guy out of a hole that was about seat deep and I had no problems. I will mamke sure to pay more attention to it tonight when I go out. I don't think and am on it all of the time while it is under, but you never know I am usually just trying to figure out how to get out.
yeah I was thinking you didnt have any problems. I wonder if it is something with the newest models that they changed in the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IM happy to report that after the oil change its running good again. Now I just hope the exhaust helps out the water issue.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
So your going to get the HMF on by this weekends ride. So we can try to sink it again.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As long as Leesons doesnt pull the same tricks they did with you. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Robb let me know if ya need my help to jet the carb.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts