Honda Foreman Forums banner

Foreman 500 front brakes pads

9K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Truegrit 
#1 ·
How are your front brakes holding up??

Mine are getting weak already, from the pads being worn (250 miles). Dano said his pads are gone already (around 900 miles). But we do ride a lot of water and mud. Ecspecially Dan.

#2 ·
havent checked my pads but i have noticed me having to "pump"sometimes now as opposed to before.

I think i have 300 miles or so

#3 ·
Mine are getting pretty weak I have to pump them a little. I think I have about 300 miles on them, most of it mud and water.

#4 ·
I have 900 hundred hard miles on mine and they still work like new. I do notice that if I go in deep water thats cold I have to pump them once or twice to build up pressure.

#7 ·
i had to adjust mine brakes and also the ranchers brakes already

#8 ·
Re: not that it matters but.

QUOTE ("nonnieselman":2hz7zq5v)
i was lookin at some part numbers the other day and noticed that the foreman 500 uses the same brakepads as the 400ex. just thought some might want to know??
Good Info!

#9 ·
Re: not that it matters but.

QUOTE ("nonnieselman":89aeigmr)
i was lookin at some part numbers the other day and noticed that the foreman 500 uses the same brakepads as the 400ex. just thought some might want to know??
You sure about that???

The 400EXs pads look nothing like the Foreman's. The 450R's are closer, but still different. Different part numbers and different prices on Service Honda. Not to mention the 500 usues a different set of pads on the right and left front.

#11 ·
i was looking in the new rockymountainatv catalog and saw that the 400ex uses PN TA84X foreman 500 4x4 uses PN TA84X. they are tusk carbon. unless the catalog is wrong. 450r uses PN TA185X. i have not compared the 400ex pad to the foreman 500 pad so i was goin by part numbers.

Thanks for clearing it up.

#12 ·
Mine still works Great

i have about 200 miles on them and i have had it in all kinds of conditions. i just clean them after every ride.

#14 ·
#15 ·
ive checked every were no go catologe say there the same as rubicons there not 57.00 a set a is a side thats for 2 u need 4 that would be 2 sets go figure they gotcha coming aqnd going b***ards

#16 ·
So what do ya'll consider better. The "old" drum brakes or the new
disk brakes. My drum brakes still stop me on a dime. I do keep them
maintained though. About 3-4 times a year i will take the drum cover
off & clean out the brakes & put some new grease around the rubber
seal & if needed, adjust the brakes. I ride in lots of water, so if drums
were that bad, i should be the person they would go out on. Although
my buddy who has a 2003 Rubicon, his breaks are shot. He never
maintains them though. So i guess drums require a lot more maintainence
& the disk require new pads alot. So which is better, 'cause if mine ever
wear out, i want to put the disk break conversion kit on.

#19 ·
Well i like the Honda disc, aftermarket discs are ok, but when they work they work well. If you can get a good deal, then go for it, but if your drums work well, I wouldnt switch.

#20 ·
Thanks Robb. Like i said, drums work great as long as you keep
them maintained. And they do require a lot more service than disk.

#21 ·
I've checked the front on several new 500's in for first checks over the last couple of weeks .. and the bikes that are used more in mud are worn considerably more than the old farmer driving around his fields.. And what would you expect with an open disc brake assy...? .. We've had 100's of 450's all beat to s*it come in (for example) for a front boot.. Front brake seals have always been kept greases so they seal good.. You take the drum off BINGO looks like brand new inside ..

Honda did the front disc because people whined that they were slipping behind Polaris,Kawi's, Yamaha,etc.. well you can keep your disc brakes..Give me drum brakes anyday..

#22 ·
pulled my drums off the recon, well it's my fault for lack of care as to why they quit working a couple years ago. I figured they'd look like they did, was really seeing what all i'd need to rebuilt them. where can I get a brake kit cheap? If I can't I can probably get away with a set of shoes, but I'm betting I'll have to get a couple wheel cylenders.

how hard is it to change the back brakes with out a manual? I may just take it in to get someone else to do it and adjust the carb if I get around to cleaning it.

#23 ·
QUOTE ("rascalsweet":31ug4pxf)
how hard is it to change the back brakes with out a manual?
The hardest part is to get the axle nut off, It is on pretty tight, after that its pretty simple. They are very similar to drums on a truck. Replace the shoes and you can see where the adjusters are at the end of each cylender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.