Honda Foreman Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is also a Light Green/Red wire coming off of the CDI it goes to the gear position switch, neutral indicator light, and feeds back to the fuse box to a diode where the wire changes to a Yellow/red wire. The Light green/Red wire and Yellow/Red wire provide power to the starter solenoid. If you have the OEM service manual there is a pretty good wiring diagram in the back of it. I Kind of doubt your problem lies in this circuit, but thought I would include the info. Hope you find the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey, thanks for the info bud.

I was speaking to my dealer this morning and they don't have any of those parts, is there any other way to check that goddam CDI unit, or the voltage regulater itself. ?

Their must be a way to measure that with a tester.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sadly, I don't see anyway to check the CDI unit. I could be wrong, but I'm not seeing any testing procedures for that. I'm pretty sure to check the regulator the engine has to be running at 5000 RPM, the battery needs to be in good shape and fully charged. There are quite a few checks you can do, but you really need the manual to go through all the tests. I'd hate for you to go buy something and that still doesn't fix the problem. You might be ahead to take it to a technician at Honda, they should be able to diagnose the problem. I know that doesn't sound like much fun, Your other option is to read through all the tests you can do in the OEM service manual, or start replacing components and hope you buy the right ones. Wish I could be of more help. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
water

rednex , soundslike our troubles are similar... I got mine wet... real wet a couple weeks ago... havent had any time to even clean my jets or anything yet... but the symptoms sound familiar.

thanks for the tips

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hardgerman your wiring is slightly different, you don't have a CDI unit you will have an ICM ignition control module, It is basically the same.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
QUOTE ("Mongo70":3ss0jcgw)
Man electrical problems can be a drag. So your Foreman is a TRX450FE? ...
just to point out that his bike is a 450FM FM is S model and FE is ES models.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You are correct JWJR, my bad. I double checked the diagram and the wiring is the same concerning the CDI on both FM and FE models. There is also a Green/White wire that comes off of the CDI, it goes to the stator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Man..u won't beleive this

HA...well...here's the solution to the problem.

1 X 1991 POPO 350 Liquid 2x4 Hauling my Honda 450 to my buddies garage = Seeing that my hand guards pinched the wires going to my control boxes on the handle bars. Yep...the hand guards pinched it so bad that it wore through the wires for the kill switch which is what was causing the ignition fuse to jump.

I now have the stock 10 amp fuse in the quad and it's even running smoother than it has in a long time. I have to put it back together in the morning, then I'm going out to beat on er again.

GIT'ER DONE !!!!!

Dammit I'm happy that POPO was hauling my quad to my buddies garage, I would have never seen that if it wasn't for that...ahhaah

I hope this info helps anyone .

Some rules to follow from what my mech at the local dealer told me.

1. It's not the Coil because a coil either works or doesn't work.
2. It's not the CDI, a CDI either works or doesn't work.
3. It's not the voltage regulator because if the voltage regulator was bad the bulbs in the lights would be shorting out.

So...as he and everyone , ever my father, were telling me, open wires or bad ground.

I want to thank everyone for their help and imput to get this done.

Next post - How to get a head temp guage to work, ? lol

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well thats great news. I knew the wires going through the kill switch came off the ignition fuse, I just didn't think about hand guards rubbing through the harness. Really glad you figured it out, and thanks for posting your solution.

·
Registered
246 Posts

my model is a TRX450ESY ... what model do I have... Hopefully not the Quebec model... not right fond of Quebec

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not sure what the Y in ESY designates. I'm pretty sure the Quebec models have brake lights. When you apply the brakes do you have a brake light come on? If I find out what the heck a ESY is I'll let you know.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I did a google search and found out from 98-01 Honda made the TRX 450 ESW/ESX/ESY/ES1 I still have no clue what the differences are?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The difference is they all have different letters and numbers.....gee whiz....sorry been drinking beer for 3 days now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sweet! thanks for clearing that up. Mystery solved.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts