Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my dad recently bought a 1998 foreman 450es that has shifting problems in higher gears for example,when you drive around in 1st,2nd,3rd, it acts fine but if you shift into 4th and 5th and speed up .the electric shift stops working (not always but most) and will not go up or down in gears with the buttons.But if you use the manual shifter from the tool kit it shifts fine.The screen is busted and not repairable it does have a new shift sensor,shift motor,battery and tires put on by the last owner that had it worked on by the Honda dealer with genuine Honda parts.I did notice the screen was unplugged and just sitting there,I noticed I cannot get a new screen for it (due to them being discontinued) the buttons on the handle bars seem to not be corroded on the inside nor burnt.The last owner also said that the dealer had a machine like this 98 in also and switched their screens and the recently bought one shifted fine.it also has other issues such as a ripped swing arm boot,leaking main seal and the baffle is broken in the exhaust causing it to be extremely loud . Does the screen effect the electric shifting if it does or doesn’t what could be the problem any help is thanked.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi there , i can't imagine the screen has any effect on it no. If the shift buttons work every shift down low then it wouldn't be the buttons either they are simply a momentary switch. The sisem is very proper voltage sensitive a new voltage regulator fixed my issues before but again it had issues in all ranges. The only 2 things i can think of that would only effect the top 2 gears is the position sensor or motor, if it is physically (manually)shifting ok. All the messages do get sent to the ecm but I've never seen an issue personally with that. Could try to shut the ignition off when it acts up it should reset the ecm and see if you can shift from that position when you fire it back up, because if the ecm senses an issue it can go into limp mode and not respond after that and shutting off the ignition will reset it, however it is possible that being said, that it won't reset if it's not in neutral when it turns back on. Not sure on that. I used to reset mine all the time and it would work again until it found a problem again. But in my case i think i did put it back in neutral while it was off. But did return out of the woods many times stopping and starting in 5 gear the whole way. Has to be something telling it that it is in those 2 gears in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turning the key off and on again does fix it without having to shift back down to neutral.But then it re occurs shortly after, could this be a bad ground or maybe a frayed wire? I will have to take the swing arm off to replace the swing arm boot and the rear main seal due to it leaking any tips on that? Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts