Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all 1998 Foreman 450 ES having electrical issues. I'll give a brief rundown of the history and would love some more opinions. Bought in September 2019, 6xxx miles from a refurbishing dealer - he bought it from original owner. Ran great when i got it, no issues, was great for a few months. I added in a badlands 3500# winch and a mini light bar, both with no issues. fast forward to winter, had for the first time a few issues shifting with the ES, but generally fine again after charging battery. Late December I took the ATV ice fishing- ran great on the lake, trailered it home and when i went to unload it it would crank but had no spark, this was the first time I had this issue. After some diagnostics I found the issue to be the main fuse had blown, replaced it and we were back to running fine. A week or two later, I had the same issue of cranking but this time only starting occasionally after significant (over a minute) of cranking, but then running with no issues. After this I replaced the battery with a Road Runner Premium power sports battery, that worked fine for the day, but I soon had the same issue. Cranks hard and strong, but would only actually start once in a blue moon. Starting with the easy stuff, I charged the battery (nothing), followed by replacing the spark plug, still not making a difference. I tested the spark plug (redneck way- grounded against the engine block to look for an arc- no arc.) so based on that I ordered a new ignition coil (no CDI box) and after installing that I was visually able to see an occasional spark, and the ATV will start and run fine, but its very inconsistant as before, only starting after a lot of cranking (this was last week). Other issues i've had include the battery draining when plowing snow (frequent gear shifting and winching, often with lights on) and I have noticed a slight "hot electrical" smell as well. Based on that my next step is the voltage regulator/rectifier- ordered one, will be here this weekend. I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues or knows what this could be. As far ad the gear shift i suspect its the little angle sensor, but haven't gotten around to replacing it, but as far as the rest I'm at a loss. Thanks much!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good news!
I got the new voltage reg/rect in the mail, got it installed and have not had any problems since. Hope this info can be useful to someone with similar problems!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts