Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not online computer friendly-it took me an hour to figure out how to post this. I'm new to this forum stuff. I bought a 2001 450S last month that has no fire to the plug. the last owner said he shut it down one day & it wouldn't start-no fire. I have a honda manual & checked it out . the pulse generator is only making .2-.3 volts while cranking. I installed a new one that had the same ohm resistance as the old one & checked the wire & -ground-same low voltage.Is there a cranking rpm listed anywhere? I have battery voltage to the ICM while cranking. Anyone have any thoughts? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,868 Posts
welcome to the forum !!
have you checked the on - off switch on the left handlebar ......the contacts can get gummed up and even if it says run its on off .(just move it to run and stop a bunch of times, it may clean up the contacts )

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
try rich's suggestion, that'd be my starting point before replacing ignition components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
run switch

THANKS for the reply. have good voltage to the switch and to the ICM through the switch. the nuetral switch light is on while cranking.the stator has no shorts & is not showing ground at leads. i get 3 volts from stator leads while cranking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foreman 450 no fire

After reading many posted forums,i decided to check my battery charge voltage regulator. Manuals don't tell how to check ,but they have diodes inside-you should get continuity only one direction between the tabs where the three yellow wires connect and tab where green ground wire connects. If you get no continuity or have continuity both directions,then your regulator is bad.the manuals don't refer to this test as for troubleshooting a no fire to spark plug.beleive me, i've spent many hours checking everything the manuals refered to and this was the only thing causing the engine not to fire.i hope this info. Can be used by others experiencing this problem-it seems i've read alot posts that no one ever listed what was causing their ignition problem assuming that they did eventually solve the problem. A new regulator made me very happy to see a blue arc on my spark plug. Thank you all for your posts

·
Premium Member
3,838 Posts
My cousin had the same no fire on his rancher and replaced the stator, same thing. He replaced the voltage regulator/rectifier, problem solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Omg! I couldn't get fire to my plug so I googled it. I hit this forum and your reply first try. I went and did what you said with the on off switch and bam, that did you it!!! Thanks!! You just saved me $100!

·
Registered
2 Posts
welcome to the forum !!
have you checked the on - off switch on the left handlebar ......the contacts can get gummed up and even if it says run its on off .(just move it to run and stop a bunch of times, it may clean up the contacts )
welcome to the forum !!
Hey Rich, was having same issue and ran across your suggestion and it worked! Thank you!
Now I just need to see why I’m not getting fuel 🤣

1 - 8 of 8 Posts