Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys got the foreman 400 it has jumped time. so I might as well do a top end as it smokes a bit while im in there I have heard some rumors but wanted some of your guys opinions.. could I just get a 450 jug and piston, rings. and do it that way instead of boring out the old 400 jug? thanks mike :unsure:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also how do I get the timing right on this thing? anybody happen to have a manual to set the timing when I get a new chain? thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so I can still use my 400 head right? has anybody ever had any trouble rebuilding these motors? thanks for the manual!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
yes you just need 450 cylinder piston rings and new gaskets

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay cool deal.. thanks! any opinions on what kind of piston to order? im lookin on ebay.. should I get a whole top end gasket kit? would that include valve seals?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so.. this thing is still in time.. I am stumped.. it will not crank it has fire to the plug and fuel and air but it wont crank it just backfires. I sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it backfired through the carb. any help please? what else could this be? I did adjust the valves before this happened could that have effected it? and yes I did put it on TDC on the compression stroke.. please help thanks mike.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also when I pulled the cover off to check the timing the little triangle thing with the ball bearings in it fell out which way does it go back It has a spring on one side??

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
hows your compression? almost sounds 180 off on time. spring goes towards clutch

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure I never checked it but it did blow my thumb off it before I tore the head off. and I made sure it said T in the window looked right at the piston which is at the very top of the jug and the arrow is lined up with the dot like its supposed to be? and thanks I will go right ahead and put it in its place! big help man thank you!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and I don't know if this would stop it from cranking but I looked at the valve on the exhaust side it is filled up almost with crud and craters my piston looks fine and so does the cylinder but it does have some play..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
like I said it was running fine just ticking so I adjusted the valves and I rode it for a couple hours and it just died never could get it to start just backfire now and then

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
your thumb over the spark plug hole isnt going to tell you anything get yourself a good compression tool and test it correctly by the manual. when you did the valves did you adjust them on the correct stroke? there are 2 but the one you want is the compression stroke. your exhaust valve is going to be filled with black carbon build up clean it out with carb cleaner

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I have to order new gaskets just to check the compression so that will take a while. anything else I can check? I don't know if Im right or wrong but I don't think the carb cleaner will take off the crud that I have it almost looked like welding slag stuck to it I cant pick it off with a flat head screwdriver thanks again

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
those are just casting defects i wouldn't worry about them and i prob wouldnt pick them with a screw driver either lol you can get a lot of it clean with just carb cleaner. not much more you can check shoulda done a compression check before tearing it down throwing new gaskets in it just to check compression then have to do it again if its bad is gonna suck

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
The crud is probably from it burning oil. Are you still planning on an overhaul? Did you try a new spark plug when trying to get it going? Is the timing chain tight (adjuster putting good pressure on it)?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks. yes I should of done a compression check. my fault. but yes I am planning on doing a top end I wanted to do the 450 swap if I can still use the same head. or maybe just re ring mine but either way im not putting it back together as it sits it did burn oil. and too deep the timing chain did have a little slack in it it wasn't really rubbing the adjusters much its hard to look and see in that little whole. I still have the motor in the bike. but am I right too deep? about checking the timing? I will probably put in a new one anyway along with an adjuster to prevent tearing this machine down again in the future. thanks a lot for you guys help

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im getting the hint its probably due to low compression... everything else is checking out okay? im not missing anything am I? I just don't get why it shut off out of the blue. never started since..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts