Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for several weeks trying to find the oil temp that the fan is supposed to come on on my 98 400. After finally finding a module that actually works, i can finally answer that question. Using an oil fryer thermometer in the dipstick hole it is right at 215 degrees fahrenheit, using an infrared thermometer at the oil filter cap and the case right above the sensor it was reading about 230. I am guessing that is picking up heat from the cylinder dissipating through the aluminum case. Hope this helps a bunch of people since it seemed to me a lot of people were asking this question but no one had exact numbers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The fan control unit will not only take the signal from the sending unit and turn on the fan, it will also turn on the oil temp light on the instrument panel. Signs of the controller being bad is the temp light flickering while at an idle, or the fan not kicking on and the oil temp light will be on. One flaw in the controller is if it is really bad the fan will not run and or the oil light not come on at all when the unit is overheated. I have rebuilt a number of 400 engines from this happening and piston/cylinder damage being a result.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts