Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping somewhere here can help me out. I picked up a 03 foreman 450 ES the other day and have been riding it around some. Noticed the fan hasn't kicked on at all. I look up under it and find the oil temp sensor wire is unplugged. I grounded it to the motor and frame and the fan does NOT turn on with the key on but I do hear a clicking noise somewhere under the front fender near the fan. I checked the fuse and its good. Tried spinning the fan and tapping on it and still nothing. Just the clicking noise when I touch the wire to a ground. Yall think it's the fan, control unit, or something else? I plan to really dig into it tomorrow but not sure how it all works.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
that clicking is the relay in the alarm control
Box that turns on your red dash light for over temp - was it coming on?
The wire to ground to turn your fan on is on the right side of frame
Just below the bottom of the seat by the connectors to the carb heater etc.. is a single wire I believe it’s blue and has a male female bullet connector
Disconnect and ground the harness side to the frame and your fan should come on
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that clicking is the relay in the alarm control
Box that turns on your red dash light for over temp - was it coming on?
The wire to ground to turn your fan on is on the right side of frame
Just below the bottom of the seat by the connectors to the carb heater etc.. is a single wire I believe it’s blue and has a male female bullet connector
Disconnect and ground the harness side to the frame and your fan should come on
Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. I tried it again and it does turn the oil light on when it clicks. I looked for the single blue wire and I think I found it. Had to access it from under the rear fender by some other connectors. I unplugged it and tried grounding it and nothing happened. I tried grounding both sides. No sounds or anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you grounded your blue wire on the harness side and the fan did not come on-
ether your fan control box is bad or your fan is bad
Try grounding the harness side of that connector directly to the negative on the battery with a jumper
if fan does not come on try putting 12 volts directly to the fan motor plug to see if it comes on
If it does then most likely you fan/alarm control box is bad- its the small black box with the green female plug
beside the CDI box under the front fender in the center mostly
You can have a helper tap on the fan control box when you have the blue wire grounded- some times the relays stick in the box and tapping will jar them loose
If you determine that the fan control box is bad you can sometimes bring them back by baking in oven at 450 for 7-8 minutes then let it cool without moving
I have fixed a few that way 6-7 years ago and they are still working
Hope you get it figured out
Let us know what you find out

·
Registered
52 Posts
Boy I forgot to add when you ground that blue wire on the harness side to turn your fan on your key must be in the on position that might be the reason Did it did not work when you tried it possibly

·
Registered
52 Posts
Let us know what you find out either way
We will get it figured out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the advice. Been a huge help. I’ve been out of town for work but I’m hoping to try it tomorrow. I tried to get to the fan plug before I left but looks like I’ll have to pull the tank plastics off because I can’t get my hand in there to it. Oh and I did try it again to make sure the key was on and fan does not cut on when I grounded the blue wire with key on

I’ll be back with a report once I run a jumper to fan harness and try tapping on the control box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts