Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a ton of threads on this problem, but none of them seem specific to my problem. I have a problem with the ESP on my 2002 rubicon 500. The dash just flashes. I replaced the shift motor and angle sensor. I preloaded the angle sensor and the problem seemed to have been fixed on first start up. Everything on the dash worked until I tried to shift and it came back. I went through the process again and it played out the same way. I took the shift motor off and tried it and everything worked. The shift motor spun, the dash shifted through the gears, but when I bolted the motor back up it started flashing again. The gear the motor spins doesn't move by hand, just does a back and forth motion. Is there something going on in the transmission? The oil level is good. Curious if anyone has had this problem. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know there are a ton of threads on this problem, but none of them seem specific to my problem. I have a problem with the ESP on my 2002 rubicon 500. The dash just flashes. I replaced the shift motor and angle sensor. I preloaded the angle sensor and the problem seemed to have been fixed on first start up. Everything on the dash worked until I tried to shift and it came back. I went through the process again and it played out the same way. I took the shift motor off and tried it and everything worked. The shift motor spun, the dash shifted through the gears, but when I bolted the motor back up it started flashing again. The gear the motor spins doesn't move by hand, just does a back and forth motion. Is there something going on in the transmission? The oil level is good. Curious if anyone has had this problem. Thanks in advance.
Hi have you tried to rotate the smaal gear wheel inside the case by you finger. It shall rotate easily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does that mean that the gear wheel do not rotate several turns? If it is in one end position it shall be possible to turn it several turns in one direction before it end up in opposite position. If not it is some worns inside the case.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you perform the ECM reset procedure after changing the angle sensor?

Like Fred was mentioning. The gear the motor spins turns a worm gear that moves the swash plate from neutral to full tilt. It should rotate smoothly several turns one way then stop. Several turns the other way then stop

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does that mean that the gear wheel do not rotate several turns? If it is in one end position it shall be possible to turn it several turns in one direction before it end up in opposite position. If not it is some worns inside the case.
The gear doesn't rotate either direction. It moves maybe a 1/4 inch in both directions but thats it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you perform the ECM reset procedure after changing the angle sensor?

Like Fred was mentioning. The gear the motor spins turns a worm gear that moves the swash plate from neutral to full tilt. It should rotate smoothly several turns one way then stop. Several turns the other way then stop
I tried to do the reset a few times but it doesn't seem to want to work. I put it in D2. I hold down the shift buttons then release them when the key turns on. I do up down up and open and close the throttle but nothing happens.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not good. I hope you have the temporary ball nut lock up. Try and turn that gear with a screw driver. Don't force it if its stuck. Also try with the angle sensor removed.

Do you have a manual?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not good. I hope you have the temporary ball nut lock up. Try and turn that gear with a screw driver. Don't force it if its stuck. Also try with the angle sensor removed.

Do you have a manual?

View attachment 49682
I dont have a manual. I was trying to find a trouble shooting guide, but no luck. I'll try getting that gear moving. It says it might be temporary, so maybe might get lucky.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If it starts looking like a hondamatic replacement, I'll point you to that site for second and third opinions

·
Registered
12 Posts
When the angle sensor goes bad sometimes. The shift motor tries to turn the worm gear against the stop and it jams. Then when you replace the angle sensor the shift motor is not strong enough to un jam it. You need to take a screw driver and pry against the gear to free it. When the hondamatic fails and the bearing in the swash plate goes out. You normally can still turn the gear and it will spring back after you try to turn it. If is just rocks back and forth a little it just needs to be freed with a small wrap on the gear. Contact me if you want me on the phone to walk you through it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When the angle sensor goes bad sometimes. The shift motor tries to turn the worm gear against the stop and it jams. Then when you replace the angle sensor the shift motor is not strong enough to un jam it. You need to take a screw driver and pry against the gear to free it. When the hondamatic fails and the bearing in the swash plate goes out. You normally can still turn the gear and it will spring back after you try to turn it. If is just rocks back and forth a little it just needs to be freed with a small wrap on the gear. Contact me if you want me on the phone to walk you through it
Sorry for no replies, I had to leave for work. I'm back now. I will try that as soon as I can and let you know if I need a walk through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think it's a temporary lock up. I've been prying on it a while now and it doesn't want to move in any direction. I even managed to get a stubby flat head on there and give it a light smack with the deadblow, nothing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts