Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2005 TRX 350,ES / FE 4x4 that as the title suggests I want to change to ES system to a manual foot change.

The reason I want to change it is the system in dead ! I bought the quad as a fixer upper. Its done very little work but was used as a grit spreader for two mild winters, sadly without being cleaned prior to storage. However it was put away in perfect running order. The bottom line is plenty of corrosion ! I have stripped/cleaned/re-painted as much as I can and its starting to look presentable.

After cleaning the carb it fired up and runs perfect, but the ES system is still dead. The 'N' light flashes 5 times, the emergency gear lever changes up and down the gear box and the indicator light changes.

As much as I would like to have it working properly, I figured it can only be a corroded contact but It's now gone beyond my ability. After looking on the internet I have found lot's of info including details about swopping for a manual foot change.

After reading all the various postings and getting a somewhat confused, the recommended option seams to be to get a gear lever and selection shaft from an FM model as swop it over (is there other parts needed ?)

But rather than strip part of the engine to swop over the internals, I was thinking of getting an FM gear lever and re-engineering the splined end to fit the 12mm hex that the quad currently has. Then take off the shift motor, remove the internal gear, then re-fit the shift motor.

Please excuse my ignorance but have I oversimplified matters an missed out something important ?

Many thanks in advance

Ian

·
Premium Member
17,872 Posts
yes you can pull the gears from the shift motor and weld(fit) a foot shifter on the emergency shifter shaft ......but while you have the shift motor off pull it apart and check the brushes .......i have fixed quite a few es shifting problems buy doing this

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have a 2005 TRX 350,ES / FE 4x4 that as the title suggests I want to change to ES system to a manual foot change.

The reason I want to change it is the system in dead ! I bought the quad as a fixer upper. Its done very little work but was used as a grit spreader for two mild winters, sadly without being cleaned prior to storage. However it was put away in perfect running order. The bottom line is plenty of corrosion ! I have stripped/cleaned/re-painted as much as I can and its starting to look presentable.

After cleaning the carb it fired up and runs perfect, but the ES system is still dead. The 'N' light flashes 5 times, the emergency gear lever changes up and down the gear box and the indicator light changes.

As much as I would like to have it working properly, I figured it can only be a corroded contact but It's now gone beyond my ability. After looking on the internet I have found lot's of info including details about swopping for a manual foot change.

After reading all the various postings and getting a somewhat confused, the recommended option seams to be to get a gear lever and selection shaft from an FM model as swop it over (is there other parts needed ?)

But rather than strip part of the engine to swop over the internals, I was thinking of getting an FM gear lever and re-engineering the splined end to fit the 12mm hex that the quad currently has. Then take off the shift motor, remove the internal gear, then re-fit the shift motor.

Please excuse my ignorance but have I oversimplified matters an missed out something important ?

Many thanks in advance

Ian
Solve all of your problems with a bolt-on hand or foot shifter no welding go to Hondaesshifter.com to order yours today shipped directly to your address ASAP Doc (601) 678-9101

1 - 4 of 4 Posts