Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rebuilt engine about a year ago, complete top end on my 2003 450s foreman. should have done the cam chain when I did top end but tried to save money. 3 months later my tensioner went bad. so yesterday I finally decided to replace tensioner that I have had for 3 months. pulled top end back off replaced tensioner, cleaned all parts and replaced. fired the old girl up and she was purring like a kitten. rode around for a while checking out for leaks and etc. only thing I found was valves needed readjusting let cool down and later in the afternoonb readjusted. rode it for 12 miles and parked nothing was wrong. went back out a hour or so later went to fire up to go to neighbors house and when it fired up sounded like the starter was hung, shut it down and started again still starter was hung, so I shut it down again and started with pull rope. no problems. went to leave neighbors house after a few beers and it wouldnt start it would only click so Iwent to pulled the rope but wouldnt pull. I then jacked it up and put in 5th gear and tried to turn the wheel and at first wouldnt turn after rocking back and forth finally broke loose or at least I thought. I then pulled the timing plug out and spun the wheels but the flywheel is not turning. so I took the pulled start off and put a socket on the flywheel and it was tight so I turned in the other direction and loosened up and then went back to the original direction and got tight again. I am stumped any suggestions anyone, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Start with pulling the starter off since it was giving problems. Also check the bearing that the end of the starter shaft rests in inside the motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i pulled the starter off and still cant engine to spin, I can stick my finger thru the hole where the gear is it will rotate one way with ease but not the direction to start the engine. I am assuming that is normal, or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told that there was a one way clutch somewhere in engine for the starter drive that could be locked up. any thoughts on this? never heard of that for the starter drive

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it possible for something in the tranny to have come loose or broke that would cause the engine to seize up. really need some input on this for I am dumbfounded and trust me it doesnt take much! thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
The gear you was spinning one way and not the other has the starter clutch on it. It sounds like it is working. I mentioned that small bearing at the end of the starter shaft (in the engine itself not the starter) because I had one that the bearing was bad and the ball fell out and found a gear to lock up the motor. It happened to be the crankshaft/balancer gear on that one. That is not a common thing (only had one in all my years) but it's something to check.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks too deep for the input. got home from work and it was eating at me to know just what the **** my problem was. pulled the engine out of the machine and started teardown, luckily it wasn't something that I had caused but not good in any way. what I found was I spun the engine with a ratchet and something just didn't feel right at the rear of the crankcase. so I pulled the alternator cover off and there was my problem, 2 of the bolts had backed out of the stator and got hung between the stator and flywheel. but not taking any chances this time going thru this complete with all new bearings and gaskets for I hope this is the last time I go into the engine. My next question is where is the cheapest site to buy the parts needed, and what type puller do I need to pull the flywheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rebuilt engine about a year ago, complete top end on my 2003 450s foreman. should have done the cam chain when I did top end but tried to save money. 3 months later my tensioner went bad. so yesterday I finally decided to replace tensioner that I have had for 3 months. pulled top end back off replaced tensioner, cleaned all parts and replaced. fired the old girl up and she was purring like a kitten. rode around for a while checking out for leaks and etc. only thing I found was valves needed readjusting let cool down and later in the afternoonb readjusted. rode it for 12 miles and parked nothing was wrong. went back out a hour or so later went to fire up to go to neighbors house and when it fired up sounded like the starter was hung, shut it down and started again still starter was hung, so I shut it down again and started with pull rope. no problems. went to leave neighbors house after a few beers and it wouldnt start it would only click so Iwent to pulled the rope but wouldnt pull. I then jacked it up and put in 5th gear and tried to turn the wheel and at first wouldnt turn after rocking back and forth finally broke loose or at least I thought. I then pulled the timing plug out and spun the wheels but the flywheel is not turning. so I took the pulled start off and put a socket on the flywheel and it was tight so I turned in the other direction and loosened up and then went back to the original direction and got tight again. I am stumped any suggestions anyone, any help is greatly appreciated.
your timing chain is stretched past tolerance it needs replaced maybe.. sounds like your problem if you still got a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts