Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 foreman 450 ES and seem to be having some electrical problems. I have a brand new battery and had a new voltage regulator put in a few months ago. A day after putting my new battery in when first running the wheeler my electronics don't seem to work that well. For instance if my lights are on I cannot use the ES. Also at idle the lights were less dim than when I revved the engine. The lights and display would get brighter as I held down the throttle and then die back down slightly when I let go. After plowing for 15-20 minutes everything seemed to work mostly fine, but I'm concerned that something isn't quite as it is supposed to be here. I checked the voltage across the old (dead) battery before buying the new one and at idle I was reading 13 volts, and when revving I was reading about 13.5. Any ideas, or anything to check? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
voltage

Voltage at different scenarios:

Idle, no lights: 14.5v
Rev, no lights: 14.2v

Idle, lights: 13.4v
Rev, lights: 13.2v

Is it normal for the voltage to drop when you rev the engine? Also do these numbers seem especially low?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
be sure battery is fully charged and in good condition 13 - 13.2 V
(< 12.3 V recharge and test the battery before proceeding)

There should be 5 wires coming from the regulater. A red wire that should have full battery voltage, A green wire that should be grounded.
3 Yellow wires from the alternator.

With the plug disconnected the 3 yellow wires should not be grounded (Open).
(check each indavidually) and should show 0.1 to 1.0 ohms of resistance between each other.

Check the wires for damage, shorts or open circuits and check the connections for resistance. If all checks out then the problem will be either the regulator or the alternator. Probably the regulator (rectifier)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I had that happen to mine but they ended up eating my outer filter and some wires. Now when i store it i stick steel wool everywhere. Just remember all the place so you can take it all out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
QUOTE ("szembek")
Ok thanks, There was a mouse nest inside the box by the fuses and stuff so there very well could be a short. I'll have to inspect it a little more closely.
That could be it. the mice could gnaw through a wire. There may be some other damage also. Check all the wireing over closely.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top