Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just a note on wrenching on the fuel system on the newest quads. The ecm (computer) has to be re-initialized if you change or even disconnect the carb, throttle cable, throttle position sensor, angle sensor, or the ecm itself.

procedure as follows for 500 rubicon

start engine and idle for 30 seconds with sub tranny in neutral

move lever to D making sure indicated on dash

ride forward 5 ft

move lever to N (indicated on dash)

turn ign off

move select switch to d1

turn on ign while pushing up and down shift buttons at the same time

check that N blinks on dash

release buttons then press up,dn,up and listen for shift motor to adjust angle sensor, dash should show ---

within 5 seconds move throttle from fully closed to full wide open and back

check dash for constant N.

And this is an easy one, some models have to have the wheels up in the air to calibrate the 2/4 wd.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Good info, does this need to be done after a jetting change??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ecm

Only if the cable is disconnected, will it need to be re-done. Basically the sensors need to be calibrated to the computer if anything is altered that effects the calibration. This includes any R+R of cable, tps or angle sensor and obviously the computer itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On another note this is good to do as part of your regular maintenance. My Honda dealer says to do that every time you change you oil just to make sure it's running at it peak performance.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i might consider doing this

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds like the same thing we had to do in the early 90's cars when we replaced a battery or had to disconnect the cables.It's actually like a idle relearn procedure,on the cars we had to allow it to idle with the a.c on and then drive it for 5 minutes over 30 mph to reprogram the sensor ranges.That's going far for atv diagnosis in my opinoin,I do prefer efi though,that's my aoto specialty(drivibility).

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah.... tap the brake turn the wheel too the left 90 degrees and roll the window down to reset a code or light.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah right,I can't understand that equipment,tools to fix them,training and tecnology is going up,price inflasion is out of control but yet we all get paid the same amount afterwards,I SAY PROTEST!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, just a note on wrenching on the fuel system on the newest quads. The ecm (computer) has to be re-initialized if you change or even disconnect the carb, throttle cable, throttle position sensor, angle sensor, or the ecm itself.

procedure as follows for 500 rubicon

start engine and idle for 30 seconds with sub tranny in neutral

move lever to D making sure indicated on dash

ride forward 5 ft

move lever to N (indicated on dash)

turn ign off

move select switch to d1

turn on ign while pushing up and down shift buttons at the same time

check that N blinks on dash

release buttons then press up,dn,up and listen for shift motor to adjust angle sensor, dash should show ---

within 5 seconds move throttle from fully closed to full wide open and back

check dash for constant N.

And this is an easy one, some models have to have the wheels up in the air to calibrate the 2/4 wd.
thank you this worked on my 2001 rubicon, had the same problem 2 years ago and replaced the battery and alls well not this time replaced dead battery and D1 D2 ESP FLASHING AND SPUTTERING IN REVERSE. THANKS AGAIN IT FIXED EVERYTHING.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts