Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
check the charging voltage on the machine when it is running. use a voltmeter across the battery posts and tell us what the meter says at idle and about 1/4 throttle with the lights off and with the lights on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't ride the machine that often...wondering if I should pull the battery between rides? You think the LCD display that keeps track of time and hours would be enough to drain the battery?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does your winch have a direct wire switch(usually a big switch has 4 large gauge wires going to it 10 gauge) or a contractor/selenoid (smaller switch with 3 smaller wires maybe 16gauge).

If you have a direct wire switch the problem might be in the winch switch. I had a problem with this on my bike. What I did to fix it was put a 25amp on/off toggle switch in the (+) wire going from the battery to the switch. When ever I wasn't using the winch, flip the toggle to the off position.

A battery tender is a good investment if the bike sits for a while between rides.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
TRHOD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HondaMechanic,
Interesting information...I was not aware of this...Thanks
TRHOD,
I do have a Superwinch with a 4 wire direct connect but I usually disconnect it because I have heard this can lead to discharge...it has been disconnected for some time. I also have a trickle charger that I don't always connect as I probably should...but now it won't charge the battery.
If noone else has these recurring problems then I will start to look at this situation as unique and start looking deeper to solve this issue.
Thanks again all for the responses!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Sounds like your battery is no good, my wife had the same exact problem with hers and after checking her charging system, I swapped the battery with mine, 2 days later the same battery was dead again. If it won't take a charge from your trickle charger then your battery voltage is probably way to low for it to take, once a lead acid battery gets very low, say 1-3 volts the chance of it recovering are usually very slim.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If thats the original battery id say its time for a new one. If you got 5-6 years out of your battery you def got what you paid for with that battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I just got a weak battery from the factory and after replacing it have seen the second battery sucked dry! Not rally a big deal but a real annoyance and frustrating because it won't stop. My brother's Foreman did the same thing by the way. Must be something in the air here:)

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Do you have it hooked up right? Not tryin' to sound like a smarty pants, but
on my other atv i used to have, my battery went dead & i bought a new one.
It went dead after one day of ridin'. The problem was, i had the battery
cables crossed. It sucked it dead. What a moron i was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.