Honda Foreman Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Foreman 500 FAB

Hello. I have Foreman 500 and I have problem - won't shift. The ESP light blink 11 times and this is "Control motor circuit malfunction". I check every step in service manual and no results. Any ideas?

P.S. Control motor is work.

Sorry for broken English.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2004 Honda RUbicon 500 at es

Mine is flashing r1,r2esp also,wont electric shift and wont go over 15 mph,I am going to check shift linkage and brake on right side and other crap.I will let ya know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2016 started messing up w/ 15hrs on it,the blinking, if ya waited awhile it would start back up,it ended up not working at all, took it in at 20hours on it,still new, I figure it was just finicky being automatic,and my first atv, Hondas first guess they did was oxygen sensor,Thats when I found the manual on line and started researching it,. I dont think the oxygen sen would cause it to not shift, It had code 42, which is the shift circuit, doesent tell you what part just the area, there is 3 sections in the repair manual just on the shifting, prob about 300+ pages, They then started taking parts off a new one on the floor, after 9 hours they put on it swapping parts they put a ecm on it, So far its been doing OK,Hopefully that was it, Weird, maybe my post might help someone later on too, They did cover it under warranty,Refused to extend the warranty,Sure is a bad sign and just my luck having this much trouble,,,,, Still pissed they had it 3 months and put 9 of the 29 hours on my Rubicon.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is old post but, I took my carb off to rebuild on my 2002 and when I cranked it to test it out all my dash indicators were flashing and would not change gears. I went back over the whole thing in case I inadvertently unhooked a wire. What I found was the wire connection going to the carb was not fully seated, pushed to connection in and restarted engine, good as gold. hope this helps someone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have Foreman 500 and I have problem - won't shift. The ESP light blink 11 times and this is "Control motor circuit malfunction". I check every step in service manual and no results. Any ideas?

P.S. Control motor is work.

Sorry for broken English.
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Ours is doing this now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I had forgotten the subject, but to say what the problem was. I followed the manual instructions step by step and it turned out to be a broken ECU. I changed the ECU and everything was fine.

Google Translate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey folks, I have an 06 Rubicon with 600 original miles on it and am having the same problem.
At first it got stuck on first gear and it was blinking 5 times followed by one longer blink.
INow I get 11 blinks and 1 longer blink. I thought it was the angle sensor based on what I seen here. Now it also sputers in reverse. The shop wants to change the motor that changes gears that's around $250. What do you guys think?
Thanks you for any answers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey folks, I have an 06 Rubicon with 600 original miles on it and am having the same problem.
At first it got stuck on first gear and it was blinking 5 times followed by one longer blink.
INow I get 11 blinks and 1 longer blink. I thought it was the angle sensor based on what I seen here. Now it also sputers in reverse. The shop wants to change the motor that changes gears that's around $250. What do you guys think?
Thanks you for any answers.
Unbolt the sensor and preload it, tighten it back up

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a 2006 which I bought new. I had this same issue intermittently for the first couple years, then it became a hard-fault condition one day. A dealer replaced the angle sensor and it's never had the issue since. That was probably more than 5 years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same experience with the Honda shop. Changed twice and at $500 a piece and now it happened for a third time. Will not shift and putts in reverse. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Well mine is acting up again. It has had very little use over the years... really just plowed snow with it a time or two. Starts/runs fine and is around 900 miles.

Took it on a long trip last weekend, went through a few decent water/mud holes. At the end of the 2nd day, it started doing exactly this. Wouldn't shift, max speed aroun 15 mph, and sputtering in reverse.

At one point, D1 D2 ESP was flashing. I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes, then it fixed it for a few hours... then started acting up again. Now it does not show N in the display in Neutral, but the R and N lights work every time.

Started the task of visual inspection of wiring/connectors, but nothing solid yet.

Will keep posted here as I'm sure many are still dealing with this issue.

Or if there is any new updates anyone can share, that'd be great too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone find a fix for this? I got a 09 rubicon (trx fpa 9). Esp was constantly flashing 1 long 6 short as soon as i turned the key. Doing the initial setting procedure would make the motor click and the esp light would start flashing continuously (not throwing any code) turn ignition off then turn back on and back to esp flashing one long six short then off for a second flash 6 short then repeat. I went threw all connections again and the N will pop up itll shift into reverse but when i shift to d one -- will pop up and i cant even move the selector to low gear. When i fire it up esp will start flashing sometimes 6 times sometimes 5. Also I read something about taking the control motor off cleaning out the old grease and replacing it with white lithium grease, i cant completely remember if all that is correct and cant remember where i read it hope it helps someone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone find a fix for this? I got a 09 rubicon (trx fpa 9). Esp was constantly flashing 1 long 6 short as soon as i turned the key. Doing the initial setting procedure would make the motor click and the esp light would start flashing continuously (not throwing any code) turn ignition off then turn back on and back to esp flashing one long six short then off for a second flash 6 short then repeat. I went threw all connections again and the N will pop up itll shift into reverse but when i shift to d one -- will pop up and i cant even move the selector to low gear. When i fire it up esp will start flashing sometimes 6 times sometimes 5. Also I read something about taking the control motor off cleaning out the old grease and replacing it with white lithium grease, i cant completely remember if all that is correct and cant remember where i read it hope it helps someone.
Hey buddy I'm in the same boat with the flashing ESP my husband works out of town apparently its an easy fix but he won't tell me. I found this site by goggling trying to be the awesome woman I am. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts