Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a stock 2005 trx 350 te . cleaned out carb ,jets , passages. this bike starts easy, runs well until you increase gas apx1/3 to 1/2 throttle. engine blubbers til you shift up and will continue increasing speed but will not allow full throttle. Seem to run a little better without breather, so I raised clip 1 notch on long needle. very little change. Been hearing it might be stator, don't understand that logic. C
an it be checked?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
my buddy has a 450 foreman, we went on a bike run one day, and he couldnt go passed half throttle or it would chugg and sputter like it was gonna die, it did this all day, me and him both have 450's so we bought a parts bike together and when we got back to the house, he took the ignition coil out of the parts bike and put it on his and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
have you tried replacing the sparkplug??
I also don't recommend removing the air box cover, your asking for troubles IMO
on a race bike or high peformance machine in a race , OK< can see it
BUT in a off road machine like an atv, that see's water and nmud
your just asking for water to get ibnto your carb, or worse your motor!
the SMALL ammout of HP gains, are NOT worth the risk of a motor problem, that is a WHEN< not an IF , its going to happen!

millions of folks have atv's that just GREAT with a air box lid on
I suggest you try figuring out why your's isn't ruuning well with your's on, rather than removing to solve the issue's??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lid and filter removed for trouble shooting only. Just like pulling the choke to see if it's starving for gas. I'm thinking electrical. Changed the plug. No change. Cuts out even in neutral. Not like a coil breaking down under a load. But it might be.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What did you set the mixture screw to?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
checking coil, .03 ohms between terminals. 5.68 k ohm thru plug wire to each terminal. Appears to be good. Is there a resistance check somewhere for the CDI ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did this ever get resolved? I have the same exact problem and did all the same steps above. I too believe its electrical at this point, like the coil

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did you take out the diaphram number 18 in this pic and check it for a crack at the base or a hole in it

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did not check that yet, but I will tonight and let you know. I did replace the carb about 2 years ago with a brand new one, but the bike has sat for a while this past year. Maybe something got stuck the last time I ran it. Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had other projects come up and didn't get around to looking at this until now. I opened up the top of the carb and the diaphragm looked pristine. it was also in the correct position. I had never taken this part of the carb apart and it's relatively new (replaced two years ago). So I reassembled it. Afterwards I started it up again and still have no change to the original problem - it starts sputtering after if give it about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. This happens in neutral as well as in any gear when I'm riding it. Previously I've also replaced the spark plug, checked the connection with the coil wire, changed the air filter and disassembled/cleaned the bottom half of the carb with no change.

It's got me thinking that I may have accidentally messed with the air/fuel mix screws when I tried draining the bowl or something. Can anyone point me to specifics on where these tuning screws are and where their factory set point is for a 2003 Honda Foreman 450 FE? I've don't have any mods to the bike, so factory settings should get me close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
....by the way, it starts right up and idles fine. The only issue is after I give it about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I ended up taking my carb 100% apart, cleaning it thoroughly with carb cleaner, reassembling and the issue was resolved.

I'm not sure exactly what it was because I addressed a number of things at once but it was definitely carb related. Could've been some small debris in the carb or the adjustment of the air fuel ratio screw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts