Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this does for me ? This unit is the one I found a bad connection --- I cleaned the connection last week and added dilelectric grease and my ESP started working. My ESP quit again on Saturday --- Can this unit below be the problem ?

NOS HONDA CONTINUOUS CURRENT KIT TRX 450 FOREMAN # 37290-HN0-305

·
Registered
766 Posts
makes sure battery is charged good and good connection and angle sensors is good
check fuses and see if the display is flashing

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
makes sure battery is charged good and good connection and angle sensors is good
check fuses and see if the display is flashing
With this being a 99 model -- there no diagnostics with flashes. The ESP worked when I backed it out and then quit again.

I am very close to abandoning ES and going the MX footshifter route. Before I go there -- I am planning on replacing this Part Above (Continuous current module) and the Main Relay under the seat. Again, I went through the compete Honda technicial troubleshooting procedures two weeks ago (switches all check out, power, angle sensor, etc).

This is an intermittent problem that's been difficult to find the issue.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
That part is an update to some of the 98-99 450's that had a battery discharge problem. That kit was the fix to the issue.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Ive got a battery drain also and it started newyears eve when I ended up with a dead battery after riding a few hours.
I found a volt meter and with the help of Rich450 figured out how to use it and figured out I had a draw on the battery with the key in the off position.
Unplugging the rectifier made the draw disappear so I figured the rectifier was causing it and I replaced it with one I had laying around and all was well. and it even made my flickering nuetral light go away too.
Well while plowing the other day I was having problems with my idle and noticed that both my nuetral and reverse lights are flickering now.
So being concerned I hooked my meter back up and sure enough Ive got a battery draw again and this time it doesnt matter if I unplug rectifier or not its still reading a 10.44 draw.
Im testing this by disconnecting the negative battery cable and holding one probe to the negative battery terminal and the other to the disconnected negative battery cable.
Too Deep, is this the kit that im needing? or do I have something more serious?
Today I plan on hooking up the probes and just start unplugging until it reads .000 as I was doing this last night and thought it was something in the front of bike but after removing my tank and plastic and tugging and pulling on wires I cant find it now! :rant

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
99trx450ES, Im wondering if this update is for just the ES model or if it was a problem with the S model as well?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
99trx450ES, Im wondering if this update is for just the ES model or if it was a problem with the S model as well?
I tried to confirm fitment by looking at the Honda Parts Diagrams and I can not even find this Currnet unit in the 99 TRX450ES on-line parts diagram. Maybe you could study the connector thats shown in the new unit picture above and when you have your unit apart -- see if the S model has the same Gray connector. My connector was on the upper left side of the ECU under the front plastic.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
The update was just on the 98-99 450ES models. The first thing I would unplug for you other guys would be the display/meter connector.

99 I'm not sure if it can mess with the ES system or not. You could just remove that part though for a while and see how the system works (if it messes up).

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Thanx for clearing that up TD!
I think ive got it narrowed down to either the Dispay gauge or starter solenoid which with a fully charged battery works perfect.
My display gauge has a football shaped black spot to the right and in the middle of the screen and since my display reads 17,200 miles and 49000 hours I think just like replacing a television in my house, my bike needs a new T.V.! lol
I ordered a new display yesterday and I havent unplugged the old one yet because I wanted to wait til the new one gets here.
But since you mention unplugging it, im gonna have to go fire up the garage and check it out!
Thanks for chiming in TD

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Sure enough!, I unhooked displayl and the draw is gone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts