Honda Foreman Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the rear (and maybe front) differentials on some Polaris and Kawasaki utility ATV's are considerably larger that the differential on the Foremans. Several I have seen looked to be at least twice as big as the Honda's. Anyone know why this would be? Just wondering....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Compare size of differentians between brands

I belive this is due to the output shaft r.p.m. out of the "transfer case", in order to keep the engine low for a lower center of gravity the case size is reduced because the motor is on top of the transfer case, but the gearing needs to be reduced somewhere, so they do it in the diffs. To reduce the revs. they have to use a large ring gear which would require a large diff case............I think.

·
Registered
182 Posts
their front diffs also have the diff lock in them. the rears on the kawasakis and the kingquad have whats called a wet brake its essentially a motorcycle clutch in the diff that they use for a brake. im not sure about the popos since theyre junk and noone cares about them anyway lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.