Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this issue has been brought up before, and I have looked back to see if there was any new info, but has anyone found what causes the memory loss that resets the clock and trip odom. It is not a big problem, but I hate when things don't work and I can't figure out why.
For those new to this subject my clock resets to 1:00 everytime I start my machine as well as the trip odom. My battery is good so I cant see it being that.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram the red/black wire coming off the ignition switch should always be hot regardless of the key position. The only thing I see that could be breaking the connection is the 15 amp light fuse in the fusebox. From the battery there is a red wire it goes to the 15 amp light fuse after the fuse it should be a red/black wire, from there it goes to the ignition switch and branches off to the digital meter (clock, speedo). I'm thinking if that wire is not suppling voltage to the digital meter you are loosing the memory. So I would check the 15 amp light fuse first. If it is good, then see if you are getting voltage at the red/black wire going into the digital meter. Hope that helps. I'm trying to attach a picture of the diagram with a trace of the hot wire. Good Luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will give it a look over again.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...fuse is good......wire is hot......Now comes the kicker. If you turn on key, set clock, then turn off key and turn on witin 2 seconds.....clock stays set........turn off for more than 2 seconds and I get the flashing 1:00 of death........any ideas?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I double checked the diagram and the red/black seems to be the only always on connection to the digital readout. I'm no expert though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well I went out and pulled the 15 amp fuse to see what would happen. When I turned the key on I don't get anything to come up on the display. I put it back in and I get the flashing 1:00. So maybe something has gone bad in the digital display itself? I've never had one of those apart.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The manual doesn't say any thing about that. Here is the info that they have. There may be a battery or some thing in the computer or in the meter assy that stores memory when power is lost. (Like in a GPS) Kind of a drag that the expensive factory shop manual doesn't cover this.

See Attatchments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it is......especially for an expensive component

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for posting that info Sparkey, I need to invest in a real manual, The Haynes manual has little to nothing to say about the instrument cluster. I was thinking the hot wire provided the power necessary for the memory, just like a car radio needs a always hot wire to retain its memory. After pulling the fuse, I see this is not the case. So according to the troubleshooting section you posted it says " The speedometer operates normally, but the hour meter or odometer/tripmeter does not operate. * Faulty combination meter" I guess if you want a clock or odo you have to buy a new or used meter. That kind of sucks. I've heard they can be found on eBay. I don't know how much they cost though.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thats not as bad as I thought it would be. I just went through all the eBay listings for Honda Foreman and didn't see any meters for sell at this time. I did find the Honda shop manual for $51.00.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is it! I quit! It must be a problem inside the component itself. For grins and giggles, anyone who is having the same problem and has access to another display....swap them out and see what happens.(not that I will get a new one if it fixes the clock).

·
Registered
246 Posts
display

Mine does the same ( rsets to 1:00 ) battery is good... But when Im wheelin i really dont give a rats arse what time it is anyway ! !

This is a Brand new display too.. had bad water damage and corroded the last one all to heck... Displays arent cheap ! put a peice of black tape over the time location if the flashing is putting you into a trance while driving ! lol

cheers !

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE ("Mongo70")
Thats not as bad as I thought it would be. I just went through all the eBay listings for Honda Foreman and didn't see any meters for sell at this time. I did find the Honda shop manual for $51.00.
I have the manual, the common service manual and a parts catalog.
Thats about the right price. (Manuals available from Helms.com) Also you can Join the HRCA for $7.50 a year and have on line access to the factory manual. Thats where I get the info that I post here. I have started an electronic file with pages to answer the most frequently asked questions. I go to my on line manual and save the relavent pages. I guess you could copy the whole manual page by page, but that would take time. I think the manual is available on a disk as well as the book.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks Sparkey, My friend and I both bought new 450 Foremans back in 1999. Neither one of us has any trouble with them what so ever. Frankly I can't believe how rugged these machines are. My friends once flipped violently end over end, ten times, down a 100' ravine. It didn't hurt it a bit. Another time at night in an ice storm the lanyard of his flashlight caught the throttle while he was backing up, he panicked and pulled hard on the flashlight, effectively pegging the throttle in reverse. He bailed off just before the Foreman flipped over backwards off an embankment, it fell 10' before landing upside down on the frozen earth. With all the gear he was carrying it sounded like a train wreck. One side of the handle bars was slightly bent, other than that it was fine. As great as these machines are, they are now 9 years old so it is only a matter of time that the shop manual will be needed. At least that's what I'm telling my buddy when I tell him he is going in halfsies on a manual. java script:emoticon(':twisted:')
Twisted Evil

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine keeps resetting too, but whenever i turn the key on the everything that can flash on my display goes nuts. the speedometer flashes just flat lines, is goes through all the gear numbers (including drive which i am totally lost cause its not an auto trans) and after the clock resets the hour side just keeps cycling through all the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 and wont stop. Ill try and post a vid of whats its doing because i have never seen, or heard, of this happening

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had some trouble like that once...turned out my battery connections were just loose.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine keeps resetting too, but whenever i turn the key on the everything that can flash on my display goes nuts. the speedometer flashes just flat lines, is goes through all the gear numbers (including drive which i am totally lost cause its not an auto trans) and after the clock resets the hour side just keeps cycling through all the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 and wont stop. Ill try and post a vid of whats its doing because i have never seen, or heard, of this happening
sounds like it's possessed

1 - 20 of 27 Posts