Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the front cover removed from my 450ES engine as my timing chain is bad. While apart I would like to clean the gunk from inside the cover and around the bottom of the engine cavity. Is there a recommended process to do that? Also removing the old gasket isn't going well, any tips for that also? Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
Brake cleaner works good for cleaning parts. Mineral spirits and a parts cleaning brush if it's really bad. If you have the machine standing on end change the oil once it's back on flat ground. Gasket remover/paint stripper works to soften the gasket and make it a lot easier to remove.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil already drained before I started. Thanks for the ideas will see how it goes. Probably not gonna be doing too much this week as it will be pretty cold outside.

·
Premium Member
13,198 Posts
I hear you, we reached a high of 3 degrees F today with a nice gentle breeze of 20mph. Glad I have a wood stove in my unilsulated/unfinished shop at home or I would be stuck on the couch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
i keep a gallon of acetone on hand, it cleans almost anything, just wear Nitrile gloves.
somebody tell mother nature to bring spring!!!!! only -15 this morning...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya not your typical March weather! I went out to cut some firewood from a few trees that had come down with last weekends wind. Is it possible to be sweating and cold at the same time? Warm on the inside, cold on the outside....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts