Honda Foreman Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After complete disassembly and cleaning, I have rebuilt the Carburetor on 1988 TRX350D Foreman, and placed it back on the four wheeler. Cleaned the entire fuel system, tank, fuel shut off valve, new fuel filter, new spark plug. The Foreman had been sitting up for about 7 years, inside. Put new gasoline in the tank. Installed new Battery. Turned on switch. Control panel lights illuminated. Began short 2-3 second pulses on starter. After 8 or ten starting pulses, the old gal fired up and began to run at a much higher rpm than idle. Adjusting the Idle Adjustment Screw out did nothing and adjusting the Pilot Needle screw in or out did nothing.

I adjusted the timing of the throttle lever and slide piston keeping the butterfly closed while bending the metal tab to just contact when drum was moved. And I made this adjustment, on the bench, before attaching the throttle cable to the carburetor.

Thinking I got something wrong in carburetor.
Any Ideas? Thank you for your help. I am a novice. First time doing this.

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
Is there any freeplay in the throttle lever?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No free play in the throttle lever.
When rebuilding carb., I replaced the float and baffle. Didn't really need to as the old one looked fine, but i did. I'm going to go through the carb and check and redo the rebuild, using the old float and baffle.

One question; The hole, where the throttle cable round nut is inserted into the carb body, is threaded as is the round nut. How far does one screw the carb. body onto the nut before tightening the lock nut?

I was super happy that the motor fired up and ran well with the old fuel pump.

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
The cable will screw in quite a ways, just a few threads will be showing after the lock it is tigh usually. You can adjust the cable there and up on the throttle lever housing to get a little freeplay in the throttle lever.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
If the slide isn't hanging up, maybe there's an air leak?

Been a while since I was into my '87 350D, but on some carbs it's possible to get the slide in backward, with the groove for the idle screw on the wrong side, so the slide sits above the idle screw = really fast idle that won't adjust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I will check it completely. When you say slide, are you referring to the slide piston that has the main needle attached to? I didn't notice a groove in that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been a while since I was into my '87 350D, but on some carbs it's possible to get the slide in backward, with the groove for the idle screw on the wrong side, so the slide sits above the idle screw = really fast idle that won't adjust.[/QUOTE]

When you say slide, are you referring to the slide piston that has the main needle attached to? I didn't notice a groove in that.

·
Administrator
13,111 Posts
The 350 carb doesn't have that on the throttle slide. You need freeplay in the throttle to address the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem Solved

I want to thank all of you for your help and suggestions.

Finally figured out that there was not enough slack in the throttle cable.
After adjusting the cable at the handle bar and where it attaches to the carburetor, it finally purred.

Thanks again,
Mike
countyman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts