Honda Foreman Forums banner

carb question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lagernuts 
#1 ·
I just got my bike back from honda because i got the engine rebuilt. I know they went .050 o.s. and now it has a really low idle. I turned the idle knab to raise the idle up and still find it is a little low. I think some of the problem might be because the spark plug is showing that the bike is lean. My question is the screw on the bottom of the carb, what direction do I turn it to richin it up. And is there another screw besides the black knab that controls the idle and where is it? Thanks for yall help with this.

#2 ·
There is only the black knob that controls the idle. There is an air fuel screw that controls the fuel mixture, tighen it up then loosen it say about 1 1/2 turns then try it there. If it does not suit your needs keep going with it more turns. My 500 ruby is stock which should be about 2- 2 1/2 turns.
Did they put the proper plug back in your machine?
Does your bike stall?
Did the idle knob not do anything? Is the cable pooched?
Is the choke setting functioning properly?
You should not have to do this yourself if you paid someone credible!

#3 ·
yea the idle knob did idle it up, and its the right spark plug in it, but before i started cranking up on it I wanted to get the fuel mixture right. Yea, the local honda shop did the work and they done a very good job but just isn't quite like the way it was before. I'm very particular the way things run. Down fall of mine...I checked also for any air leaks and all looks good. I'll try a couple of things tomorrow and let yall know. Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
air/fuel

I had the same problem. Honda rebuilt my motor and it was running a little lean (by checking my plug and a slight backfire). I just backed the screw out 1/4 of a turn. It makes sense if you think about it. You are backing the screw out so more gas will enter the carb and richen up the mixture. I do know that running lean is not good for the bike and might be causing the bike to idle a little low because it is not getting the gas it needs. I don't know much about the carbs, but I opened mine up a total of around 1/2 turn and it runs like new now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.